1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Routing template for heel part of single cut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tantetruus, Oct 20, 2010.

1. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    I'm currently working on a singlecut neckthrough and wonder if anybody ever made a template to route the part where the neck meets the body.
    I've been thinking a lot about this, but cant find the solution.

Problem is that it is a double hollow (so to speak).

Anyone understand what i mean?:confused::confused:

2. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    ?... What's "double hollow?

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Nope.

Are you wanting a heel template or a neck pocket template?

4. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    a heel template.
    Its a neckthrough.
    :)

5. I presume you mean this part.

ed-sculp.jpg

6. I'm guessing that both body wings are hollow, as in hollow body, and you're having difficulty figuring out how to cut the heel without putting an unwanted hole in the back of the body?

7. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    Bingo!:hyper:

8. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    No, its like Lucas suggested

9. Ok, then what do you mean by double hollow?

10. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    Only, in the Lucas example it wouldnt be "that" difficult, but i want that shape, but also gradually going up from neck to body level.

11. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    By that, b.t.w. i mean the double hollow:)

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    By double hollow he means it coves on both sides and wants to know if there is a template to do this and what bit to use. No there is no template in general circulation, but someone could make one for you. You can use a cove bit or round nose to create the coving, and block sand to the final shape. This part of a SC is the most difficult, and most builders will pre shape as much of this as possible before attaching the wings as to make this job much easier.

13. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    Nope, i want to build it myself.
    Problem is that when you make a template for, say, a curve thats all pretty straightforward, but in my thinking, the template which would make the horizontal curve as in the example, would have to run over another template that would make a slight vertical curve.
    Problem there is to keep the first emplate horizontal during the whole excersize..

Didn't figure that out yet and wondered or someone else tried this before..

14. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Cut the curve with a template and then carve the neck. You would've been done by now. ;)

15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Or you can make a single template with a hump, and use a cove bit with a top bearing and follow the curvature with the bearing while guiding the router over the complex curve. You would be better to make the J template and hand carve the neck to shape, as Mikey said at this point.

16. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    You wont find a template off the shelf for that,there is no standard way of doing it.
    I use a combination of an angle grinder and dye grinder and various rasps and sanding block but no templates.

17. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    Youll have to explain/translate this a bit; im from the netherlands, my english isnt to bad, but my technical english appaers to be lacking a bit :meh:

18. tantetruus

tantetruus

Jul 3, 2010
    I mainly looking for others who might have tried to "prep" the procedure by selfmade templates for ideas. A bit just to see whether its possible "at all", partly just for the fun of finding/thinking it out.:D

19. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This is how I do mine as well. Probably the safest way.

20. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH

By that, b.t.w. he means you can make a single template with a hump, and use a cove bit with a top bearing and follow the curvature with the bearing while guiding the router over the complex curve. ;)

I believe that JC means you can create the curve template out of 3/4" or 1" MDF and then also shape the hump into your template creating a three dimensional template.

But this is day two of this topic and this task only requires a couple hours of carving with rasps and files. :meh: