1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Royer R10 vs other Economic Ribbons

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by 9_Lb_B_Twin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. 9_Lb_B_Twin

9_Lb_B_Twin

Jul 11, 2015
    Palatine, IL
    Voted Claypool for President.
    Does anyone have any experience recording double bass with the Royer R10?

I am thinking of getting either a Golden Age Project R1 MKII Ribbon, for it's cheap price, or a Royer R10, still cheap but more than the GA. I think I want a passive because the cheaper actives I have read about have a louder noise floor, or so they say. I am leaning towards a ribbon, because a general consensus is such that that they can almost all seemingly record upright bass well, where it is not always the case with other mics.

I have used an AKG Perception 200 and a Shure KSM137 and tried to record. They cannot pickup the UB to make either worth keeping as paper weights. When I play back my recordings, I wouldn't guess I was hearing an upright, much less a bass. Sometimes it sounds more like a drum with just a thup - thup and no sustain. My Dean acoustic sounds more like an upright.

I want a mic that will pickup the upright bass, and I will hear it played back and be like, yeah, that's pretty freaking close to what my room sounds like, or what I would hear if my head were where that mic was. I don't need it to be perfect.

I am not as concerned about my other instruments, the Royer R10 gets high marks in many reviews when recording the other stuff, as my current mics do an okay job, but if it were better, cool.

Current setup:
    My cheap apartment
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface
    PreSonus TubePre V2
    Mac and Garage Band
    AKG Perception 200
    Shure KSM137

Instruments to record:
    Upton Bohemian hybrid deluxe top (95% piz)
    Three custom electric basses I built - save questions for another day, they are all wild animals!
    Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10 Tilt-Back Bass Combo Amp
    Martin acoustic guitar - the cheap one
    Epiphone DOT (ES335 thing)
    Mission 5e3 - guitar amp
    Vocals

2. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    employee Gollihur Music
    Where are you positioning your current Mics? I'm a huge fan of ribbons for upright (I use a Cascade vinjet, and also an AT 2020 from time to time on my sessions) , but positioning can matter more than the mic itself. Thump and no sustain makes me think that the mics may be too close to the F hole, or the sound table of the bass. Upright's sound takes a little bit of room to manifest itself, and putting mics a bit further out than you would with something like an acoustic guitar can get you a much more balanced sound.

Adam Booker likes this.
  3. 9_Lb_B_Twin

9_Lb_B_Twin

Jul 11, 2015
    Palatine, IL
    I have tried every silly position around my apartment. Putting the mic between me and a wall or corner. Right against the bridge, f-hole (both), positioned 6, 12, 18, 24, 36 inches away. I have even tried playing facing into a blanket draped over one side of my bed with the mic on a perpendicular side of the bed. I put a mic in the middle of my living room facing the bass some 4 or so feet away. All the sounds were, at best, not that of the bass or the room.

The few times I got actual sound and sustain to develop, it still didn't sound much like what I was hearing. It sounded like I was only hearing part of the instrument. If you heard the take in the room, and heard the recording played back, you would swear it was a different take I was playing back used with entirely different equipment. I don't think I am being overly particular either. I don't need this to sound exactly like Tony Garnier on Dylan's "Shadows in the Night" (a personal favorite recording of an upright, even though it was not a ribbon mic used there). I just want a good sound out of the upright.

I can get good sound out of my Dean acoustic bass, that's not too hard. A little moving around and it comes alive fairly well and end up just recording with that, which is a shame when I look at the money spent on each instrument.

I know I have lots to learn about recording, and lots of time to develop a flavor for mics, but I need to get a, generally speaking, good sound first I feel.

cdavisshannon likes this.
  4. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    employee Gollihur Music
    I live, and record in a 230SqFt apartment, and it can be challenging so I feel your pain. With what you're describing I think that a ribbon mic, due to the figure 8 pattern, will probably make the problem worse as it picks up more of the room sound than a cardoid.

The big problem in smaller spaces is the build up of bass frequencies, and usually acoustically treating a room in an apartment isn't an option. Stay away from playing into corners, that's going to give you lots of thud. I use a thick blanket over a bifold door (closed at about a 30 degree angle) to isolate the mic as much as i can from the room. I've found that in my small space my mic position is drastically different from where it would be in a proper room.

Try throwing up your AKG on a stand about 5ft off the ground and pointed towards the bottom of the fingerboard, about 3 feet out. While this seems silly, it will get away from the boomy sound of the body of the bass. Also remember that what you hear while playing the bass is not what people out from are hearing; we have a very skewed perception of our own sound. If you can have a friend play your bass and listen out front you'll get a much better idea of where the sweet spot for your instrument is.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  5. 9_Lb_B_Twin

9_Lb_B_Twin

Jul 11, 2015
    Palatine, IL
    I see what you are saying about a ribbon picking up the room, but the mics I have, currently aren't doing much in that department. The frequencies that are being picked up are not the low bass frequencies. You can tell a bass is playing, but it is as if bass is turned all the way down and the mids are all you hear. I may be wrong.

When I get home, I will try what you suggest, pointing the mic slightly down at the fretboard, 5 ft off the ground and 3 ft away from the bass.

6. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    The Royer is a good choice but the bi-directional pickup pattern will mean that you have to take your room environment and mic placement seriously. I would try a Beyer M160 which is one of the few (maybe only) ribbon mics with a cardioid (hypercardioid) pickup pattern that rejects off axis sounds (less effected by your room). I have the M160/M130 pair and both are great ribbon mics and together make for a nice M-S stereo pair.

7. 9_Lb_B_Twin

9_Lb_B_Twin

Jul 11, 2015
    Palatine, IL
    Low and behold, that is the best recording I have made with either the AKG or the Shure! The AKG does a much better job picking up the bass. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I thought I tried everything. It seems so many people say their primary choice for placement is bridge height, but that thing standing way out up high five feet up sounds good. So good, that I think I want a ribbon or a better mic just to spoil myself. It's like you made me addicted... Now I hate you! HAHA JKJK

For laughs I tried the Shure in the same position and didn't get much. The Shure has never worked as well on upright as the AKG. In fact, I think I like the AKG for almost everything more than I like the Shure, despite the fact the Shure cost more... what do you know?

But seriously, thank you. That was a wonderful suggestion. I can't wait to tamper with it more in the coming days.

cdavisshannon likes this.
  8. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    employee Gollihur Music
    Great to hear it worked out! Happy to help :)