1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rubbery Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by e.maynard, Apr 21, 2010.

1. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Hey Justin - Much respect.

So I've been on a quest to get a hairy rubbery tone for certain things.

My basses are an old Tele Bass (now with PJ's) and a 70's Epiphone 5120 Hollow.

For gigs, an old-old GK 400RB amp and Bag Ends.

To record I generally go direct and/or a small tube guitar amp.

Have you used the Catalinbread SFT?
    Any other thoughts?

I'm not looking for fuzz just a pushed B15 pushed..... on a shoestring budget.

This cat nails the tone in question
    http://vimeo.com/10995672

Thanks!
    Erik

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That Catalinbread pedal sounds awesome, though I've never used it. Interestingly, they have somewhat gratuitously used my photo on their page for that pedal. It's certainly flattering, though of course I promptly sent them a note asking them where my imaginary endorsement pedals are. :) Anyhoo, I digress...

That bass tone from that Record Club session is delicious. Very sweet and rubbery. I'm feeling that I can get a similar tone with my Tubeworks BlueTube pedal, my EBS Valve Drive, or my Xotic Bass Preamp pedal. Do you think that Catalinbread might be to gainy? There's probably plenty of room to dial it back...

And dude...try the VTBass...seriously, it's delish...it MIGHT do that, though I'm not totally sure. I'll have a listen to mine and see...

Best,
    JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think the sft and the vt both could get you that sound. as well as a handful of other pedals, some that justin mentioned. i'm really digging my modded tech 21 british pedal for copping a similar tone, too. i had it modded with a new pot that allows you to add low end for bass or dial it back to stock for guitar. but if you want to do it on the cheap, i'd probably go vt or sft.

4. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I've been really impressed with the tube tone that the OLC Flipster can cop. Not altogether unlike the VT but full of fliptop vibe.

5. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    I'd love to hear back if you could cop that tone. I'm up for grabbing a pedal to swoop that flavor.... but my quiver is sparse pedal wise.

Please advise...

Thanks!
    Erik

6. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    on a side note... maynard, you use some nifty english.

7. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Grew up in San Pedro Calif. in the '70's.
    Some things get ingrained pretty deep.

8. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    wherever you got it...it's friggin' sweet.

9. For JimmyM and others with lots of experience with the VT: where would you shoot in terms of settings? I'm twiddling around getting close, but I'm having trouble hitting it.

Thanks!

10. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, I don't know if the VT would do that. I think you need something weirder/furrier/thicker.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think you'll find that someone you know is in the Catalinbread camp, but fo sho you need an SFT

12. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Justin.... you are feeling what I'm saying.
    I need almost no hint of fuzz but more "fart in the bathtub" with some "moxie".
    No shine at all.

The kat on that video hit the nail on the head. Do you know him?

As a side note... I'd love to see you involved in one of these Record Club sessions doing Tres Hombres (ZZ).

I think that could be a fun record to work over. "Master of Sparks" could be Legend.

13. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi,

Yes, I get the tone you're looking for. I'd have to just sit down in front of my boards to attempt to approximate something like that. If I do, I'll let you know.

I don't know that dude in the video, no. I'd love to do one of those Record Club sessions, time permitting. Tres Hombres...sounds interesting, though none of us in the gang are really ZZ Top fans, to be honest. Not sure what's on the agenda for the next installment, actually...

Best,
    JMJ

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    at least he didn't ask you to do molly hatchet ;)

15. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    I know what you're thinking. Believe me.
    ZZ Top 80's era..... is not the stuff to reference here.

Go Back though. First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres..... great stuff.

I can dig that right along side Black Flag's Jealous Again EP, Kraftwewrk or anything Tina Weymouth Touched. It's better than good.

Justin..... Looking forward to your findings.

Thanks again,
    Erik

16. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    Catalinbread ever send you that SFT for posting your mug on their site?

just curious!

17. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah. :) It's good, too. Very useful for some things. Not entirely flexible, but that's not the point. But I must say, it has a unique voice, and that is always good.

JMJ

18. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    Nice! Thats Daniel Hart in that clip. He's a friend, I'll ask him what he used...

He's actually a brilliant violinist and songwriter. I've never heard him play bass til now:)

Check out his band The Physics of Meaning and new one The Orientalist...

19. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Its cool to see the dudes from Liars were involved in this one.