Ruby-Gamba The Electric Viola da Gamba

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jun 19, 2004.

1. I think I'm in love!

Me want! :hyper:

- Dave

(hope this guy doesn't mind me linking to his pics, free advertisement!)
  2. woah, electric bass viol
    bassist pensu size ++
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

but with 7 strings, it will be hard to bow... :eek:
  4. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    This thing is beautifiul!!!

And it sounds really cool also!!! :bassist:
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That looks like alot of fun, but I think bowing a 7 string would be rather tough. I'd rather have something like this:

6. bkirk

bkirk Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    An interesting take on the viola da gamba and actually sounds pretty close. All viola da gamba family members typically had 6 strings through the Renaissance but a 7th string was added to the bass in France in the late 1600s. They pretty much worked out the bowing of it at that time but I couldn't say it is easy, just an adjustment. Check out the works of Marin Marais (who I believe is credited with adding the 7th string) and Antoine Forqueray, the "Angel" and "Devil" respectively of the gamba during its heyday. They frequently played chords as part of the melodic structure of their music.
    I still have a couple gambas from an early music phase and play them periodically.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yummy! wow. i'm in love too. :hyper:
  8. She's mine! :spit:

If the luthier wasn't in another country, I'd probably look into buying one. $4000+ is a lot of money to send overseas. Especially if I couldn't try one out first. I'm going to see if Pete Hanewinckel can build me something like that. Perhaps more like a bass, scale-length and body style-wise.

Here are a couple more pics from the site.

Don't ya just want to eat them up! :D

- Dave
  9. I can dig. What is the scale length on that? The website also says that its tuned in 4ths, but what is that lowest string tuned to?
  10. appler

appler Guest

Hey! That's not a bass guitar! :bag:

That looks/sounds amazing. I play mostly upright, and I REALLY wish I could play one of those, too. If only I were rich... and good enough to justify getting one. :D
  11. That's definately a cool design. I've often thought that the gamba could make a comeback if marketed as a modern electric instrument and not just something to play "period" music on. I'm glad to see they extended the frets to cover the length of the fingerboard. That's just a sweet instrument. Does this company also make bows? Would be cool if they did something akin to a French style bass bow with adjustable hair tension. I think that would make them a lot more accessible to people not studied in period music.

btw, it shouldn't be tuned in straight 4ths like a bass. Gambas are tuned like a guitar w/ a maj3 interval between the second and third string.