Ruby Gamba

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mheintz, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Just something interesting that I happened upon: The Ruby Gamba, a 7 string electric gamba.

The removable frets with a channel below the fingerboard are very interesting. Bowing, strumming, chording, fretless, fretted... a very flexible instrument. Now if only they would tune it down an octave. :)
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Very nice instrument!
    The string scale is not obvious though!
    Do you know what it is?
    It may be a bass gamba?
  3. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I don't know what the scale length is. I believe it is a bass viol, with a tuning from low to high: A, D, G, C, E, A, D. So perhaps my initial suggestion of tuning down an octave is overkill. Tuning it as E, A, D, G, C, E, A would make it an extended range Double Bass viol de Gamba. Now that's a mouthful.

The sound clips are pretty amazing by the way.
  4. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
  5. mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
  6. shortest_straw

shortest_straw Ruby Instruments

Jun 12, 2005
    Strasbourg, France
    If you want to know anything about the Ruby Gamba, send me an email to

I am currently the French customer support for the Ruby Gamba, but I provide advice worldwide.

BTW, the scale length is 70cm, so now, you know it and you stop wondering.

Maybe we'll do later on a double bass gamba in E... :D

Waiting for your messages!

Jean-Baptiste Collinet
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bump this old thread because I played the Ruby Gamba last week.
    Mind you, I'm mostly an electric bassist and a not-so-very-good upright player.
    Still, I felt home on this beast. The short scale was annoying at first but it allows a lot of chording and tuning.
    "Frets" consist of tied nylon threads, a bit like gut on a real viol. I'm still not sure if I like them or not but it's a good idea.
    Being used to a fretless upright, it feels a bit awkward and you must trust your eyes more than your ears.
    Electronics are dead simple, just plug and play.
    Bowing is challenging, you touch strings you wouldn't want because of the big radius. As a consequence, you can easily bow 3 strings at once and bring out full chords.

Best of all, it sounds fantastic. A deep tone with a lot of mediums and clear harmonics. Almost like a luth in the higher range. Even 4 string chords are playable. Notes are clearly defined even at the top of the neck.
    If you're into soloing you will find fantastic possibilities on this baby.

I'm in love, although I'd like it to go lower. It's expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Very well built.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Now with a pic.
    Really a lovely concept.

Attached Files:

9. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Very nice, Jazz Ad. Any chance that you'll take a hit for the home team and buy one for our review-reading enjoyment?

How secure are the nylon frets?

On a similar note, Toga Man is supposedly coming out with a bass version of their electric guitar viol:
  10. GillesZimmerman

Jun 8, 2012
    if anybody is interested by the electric viola da gamba, on my MySpace page there are some songs with the electric viola da gamba
    The page is opened for any comment including from non registered member