Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rufus Reid

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Johnnythekid, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Howdy all. I just got the Bass Day '97 video with Rufus Reid and Micheal Moore on it and I'd recommend it to anyone that liked the bass CD colaborations that they did. It's a real joy to watch these cats play together. They both have unique takes on back-up "rythm bass" parts and "lead-bass" parts, it makes for some fun watching. The thing I liked the most though, was Mr. Reid's sound. Has anyone else seen the video? Anyone here know what equipment he was probably using? I know he uses AMT mics and the velvet strings, anything else besides being Rufus Reid that'd help? Thanks for any opinions, and again, I'd recommend this DVD if you like jazz bass. They play some arco stuff, but it's in the jazz style, of course. :D Just expect to feel like this guy ----> :help: when you try to play after watching them!

2. That's a really nice video. A recording in the same vein is "Alone Together" by Rufus and Peter Ind.

3. I've got a VHS version of this. Although I LOVE the music and performances, the sound level is VERY low and consequently the quality is not very good. How is the sound on the DVD??

Thanks.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I just got Rufus Reid The Evolving Bassist DVD. It's very good, he's got a great sound, he talks about many interesting things, he also performs with his trio. It's a real treat. I got it for Xmas :D
    Anyway, if you like Rufus, and if you liked the bass day 97, you will really enjoy this one.

5. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cool, I'll have to check it out. Christmas money is a wonderfull thing, the gift you don't need to return!

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

I studied with Rufus (I went to William Paterson) and played his bass a couple of times. I think the strings he had on at the time were maybe the olives? This was 1997-98...
    I remember always thinking Rufus had such a great tone...so I couldn't wait to pick up his bass.
    Well, I remember it having pretty high action, and the strings felt really dull. My action was set lower and I was using Spirocores, so this was a surprise for me. But put that bass in Rufus' hands, and this amazing tone comes out. Which goes to show, I think, that even using the exact same instrument as one of your heroes doesn't give you the sound; it's all in the hands, as has been said many times before.

I've got a few funny Rufus stories.....

7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Right now I think Rufus is using Animas. But I agree - that big round sound comes from his hands. He's big on making sure the meat of your fingers is not too tough, which can take away some of the warmth of your sound.

Not only is he a great player but he's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

8. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    A couple years ago I got to play alongside Mr Reid in a bass ensemble. We were playing for the memorial for bassist Wilber Morris who had just recently passed. There were about 20 of us bassists playing out on the street as people were arriving for the memorial. We stopped traffic on the Bowery! Some amazing players... Anyway, I was so impressed with Mr Reid. He had no attitude at all. Just a nice man. I wanted to walk up to him and say how much time I spent when I started playing staring at the pictures in his book. You know the ones where he's carrying his bass onto the plane, and where he's demonstrating how to play seated or standing etc? He's got that biug afro and sunglasses and looks SO HIP. He looked so BAAAD. Love that guy. Sure can play.

9. I bought Rufus's 'Evolving Bassist' DVD on Ebay, it should be arriving any day now, can't wait!

Would I need his book to accompany the DVD or can the DVD be a standalone instructional?

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The DVD is a good instructional video but he does make reference to pages in his book.

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    That book is wonderful, in part because there are a lot of little hidden nuggets. Mr. Reid doesn't point to everything with a flasher -- you'll be going through an exercise for a 4th time and a door will open.

12. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I saw Rufus with Lee Konitz about a month (or two) ago. Amazing tone, amazing note choices in his playing, I talked with him briefly after the set, not a trace of ego to be found. But that tone is just so massive and warm and it just seems to flow out of him.

13. Was trumpeter Russ Johnson on that gig by any chance?

14. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Yeah, Rufus is a wonderful cat. I had an ensemble with him in college for a year, and Rufus used to sit on a chair 2 feet directly in front of my bass, so that his ears were directly in front of my F holes. :crying:
    I could not play bull**** even if I wanted to....but I'll tell you, that was a great experience. He was always (hmmm....let's say alot of the time :) ) very complimentary of my playing. He even called my bass a cannon once!:bassist:

15. Rufus certainly rules the school, he's one of the classiest players i've ever heard, I too bought the DVD + Book set from Amazon, so friggin' cheap I can't get over it! i've watched the DVD so many times my wife can't take it anymore, the only thing that kinda makes me laugh are his Bill Cosbyism's....is it just me or does Rufus kinda take a good long while to make a simple point ??? ;)

his book is thick as all hell and it's all fantastic stuff! recommend it to everybody and anybody!

16. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Rufus Reid is teaching me how to pizz

His advice and demo on how to posture the hand so as to allow adjacent strings to ring freely has been a door for me too

17. Cool, I guess I would've bought the book eventually after I get myself more cash. I thought I'd get the DVD first because I learn better by watching.

18. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    Nope. It was Lee, Rufus, Matt Wilson and Peter Bernstein.

19. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think you made the right choice, I had the book for quite a while, and didnt use it. Then I discovered the DVD, and since watching it the book is now open most the time and i'm working thru it :)

You really will want both so just plan on buying the book.

The DVD is tops too :)

20. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    At Birdland, right? Man he sounded great. Him and Matt were swinging hard.