1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rules As Posted, circa 1872

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jefff100, Oct 27, 2018.

1. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    Played with some friends last night at an open mic. Venue is a historic one room schoolhouse built in 1802, now owned by the town and maintained as a cultural arts center open to the public. Given that it was formerly a schoolhouse, this was posted on the wall.

Given the insane state of today's PC culture, this is amusing:

4) Men teachers are allowed to date, one night a week. Twice a week if they go to church on Sunday.
    6) Women teachers who get married will be fired.
    8) Getting a clean shave in a barber shop was akin to making off color posts on facebook.
    9) Work really hard for 5 years straight, we might give you 25 cents per week raise!

2018102708270713-3-L.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Was this from back when America was great?

Jimmy4string, zac2944, GregC and 4 others like this.
  3. That’s pretty grim. Scarily puritanical. Not a fan of those “rules” whatsoever.

GregC, Inara and jefff100 like this.
  4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I do try to stay out of things like this, but:
    I work in a company with over 1,000 other employees, among whom 25 or so languages are spoken. Many are immigrants, many have been refugees. One thing they all seem to share is that they STILL think America is pretty great, compared to wherever they came from.

It helps to see things through other people’s eyes, sometimes.

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Quite the find. The thing about barber shops, however, I don't quite get. Were they a source of gossip back in the day? What's so bad about them?

redwingxix, RobTheRiot and GregC like this.
  6. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    As a teacher, I hope my school board doesn't see this. They may just adopt this (especially #9).

jefff100 likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Considering we have a sitting law maker who has publically stated he believes public school is a good way to ruin a good worker and college is nothing more than training for the penitentiary, i’d say there’s a better than even chance those rules could well see a comeback.
    Maybe i could secure work as a nib whittler.

RobTheRiot and Michedelic like this.
  8. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    (Sigh...)

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. Those rules for teachers are no crazier than the current PC craze and all it's do's and don'ts that never end.
    In fact those old rules are easier and less loony that what would be written today.

10. Yeah man, if not giving a woman any agency is your thing...:rollno:

Inara, GregC and fhm555 like this.
  11. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I am happy to see that my intentions would be considered questionable. I shall be in the public hall engaging in unseemly conduct with the women teachers.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I wouldn't worry too much. The inflation calculator I have bookmarked only goes back to 1913; but even in 1913, that $0.25/week would be $6.37 today... Still, the having to wait 5 years for it does kinda suck...:rolleyes:

13. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Seems legit.

I understand there is a renewed demand for coal scuttlers lately.

14. Being shaved at a barbershop is scandalous because, if you woke up at home, you would have shaved at home before being seen in public. Being shaved at a barbershop indicates you did not sleep in your own bed leading to questions about who's bed you slept in.

I suppose that it also depends upon what is being shaved at the barbershop...

Nashrakh likes this.
  15. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I guess I could then use that $6.37 to accomplish #7 so I don't "become a burden on society".

16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Of course they do, and that is why they want to be here. But they are up against a subset who think that it hasn’t been great because that have come here, and would be greater if they weren’t here. Neither myself or my wife wouldn’t exist if that were the case, but our distant cousins are in two very different parts of the world. And there are those who would like to return this country to the 50’s. The 1850’s.

17. My new stage name.

redwingxix likes this.