Running Heads through Combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Against Will, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm thinking of getting another rig setup. I currently have a Ampeg BA-115 that I've had for a while and it's a pretty solid worker, but it's kind of unwieldy, heavy and deep(dimensionally), which is a con in a small dorm room. So, I was going to get another rig with a GK 800RB/Ashdown Mag 300 and an Aguilar GS112 (not final, but leaning in that direction.)

From what I've read, GS112's are good cabs, but need a little help in loud band situations. I was thinking that if I started gigging seriously I could bring my 115 up to school and use both. I was wondering if I could run the head into both the 112 and into the 115 combo? Is this a bad idea? If not, do I need to beware of anything while doing it?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for the most part the wiring from the amp portion of a combo to the speaker is done internally, so you cant poer the combo's speaker with an external head. What you can do is to run a cable from the preamp out or effects send of the head to the combo's effects return and use the head's preamp as a preamp for both the power section of the combo and the power section of the head which you would run into the 112.

you could also run a line from the tuner out of the head into the front input of the combo (the tuner out is usually unaffected by the head's preamp). In that case each amp will be running independantly, but both will get the signal from your bass.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Fantastic, thanks for the advice!

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    That combination should sound great, i.e., good low end and plenty of punch. Does that 112 have a tweeter in it?
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That only works with a parallel effects loop.