1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running more than one EQ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Hello, just a quick question really!

I have just purchased a dual 31 band EQ for ringing out our Mackie PA system, so we will place this on the main insert channel just using one of the channels on the EQ to ring them out.

I have another 2 channel EQ for bass guitar and kick on the bass and kick insert channels, my question is: Will the FOH EQ for ringing out the PA undone my settings on the bass and kick EQ?

Hope this makes sense

Many thanks!

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I'm guessing it probably would. Since the main insert channel would be in line after the channel inserts. Depending on how much boosting and cutting is being done you might not really notice it.

3. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Do your channel strips not have EQs? Why would you be running and outboard EQ for individual instruments? A compressor, yes, but not an EQ.

Are you experiencing feedback? If so, the likely culprit is your monitors, not the mains. I can run my FOH in most rooms with a flat EQ, but the montiors require careful EQing in every venue (which make sense, as they are pointed back at the mics) to avoid feedback.

Not to say your don't need a good EQ on the mains (you do!) I just find it's rare that it's the mains causing the issues.

4. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    The channel EQ is not as good as having an actually 31 band on each the bass and kick channels, meaning that a can get them better to sit in the live mix by having more options than a 4 band eq on the desk, is this not correct to do this?

5. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    anyone?

6. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    I wouldn't. I never had. The only time I used graphic eq's(and they were 15 band) was on vocals. And that was for feedback only. Now I use the parametric 4 band on the channel strips. Never have a problem finding offending frequencies and cleaning them up. Running the dual 32 on the mains is good for room eq and ringing out foh. I would run the other eq on monitors in cut mode only just for ringing out feedback.

NOw compression/gate would be good for kick/bass/snare

7. Yes, in the same way that it undoes the eq on the guitar amp and on the bass amp, and on all of the individuals channels on the board, etc. Try it out and see if it works!

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. At some point you are adding here, taking away there, and then adding again somewhere else. The EQ section of the bass, the amp, and several places in the PA will be fighting each other.

9. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    In 35 years of playing I have only seen one time that I recall where a guy had a rack full of GEQs inserted on a bunch of channels. Looking at some of your past posts your mixer leaves a lot to be desired. I have owned 6 Mackie mixers and the CFX was the worst. With your powered Mackie 450s and 1801 sub you should need very little EQ unless the room really sucks. When I had the 450s I sometimes had to drop the highs around 4k. Other than that it was pretty flat IIRC.

10. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    So will it be best to us the dual 31 band EQ on the FOH, use just the eq on the desk and us the other EQ on the monitors?

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 31 bands are likely best used on your monitor channels. I've found 15 bands to be fine on mains.

12. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Another quick question, could I use channel 1 of the 31 dual band EQ on the front on house say just on the R main insert and use channel 2 for monitors. If I use channel 1 into the R (or L, either one) main on the desk should it be fine because we dont use any panning on the channels.

Sorry quite new to this all, just need some advice

many thanks

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Run your mains in mono and use one for those and the other for monitors. That'll free up your other eq for use on individual channels if need be....assuming you have one monitor mix for everyone.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1, use one side for mono mains EQ, the other side for a monitor. (also, no need to "insert" them, run the board out into the EQ and the EQ out into the amp or whatever.)

of all things bass is the least likely to need a big ol' graphic on it! i find my bass sounds best with the board EQ bypassed entirely.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I run the GEQ and Aphex 104 in the mains insert but, for the monitors, I run lines from Aux 1 and Aux 2 into a cast-off GEQ and onwards to the power amp. If these guys would settle for a single well-balanced monitor bank, it would be a whole lot simpler....but nooooooooo!!

Riis

16. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There is no "correct", there is only what works.

17. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Eh, maybe, but unless he's trying to correct a specific problem there's just really no reason for a 31-band in the insert.

OP, if I'm reading your original post correctly, you now have two 31-band, two channel EQs. If so, use one for mains and another for monitors (I'm assuming you only have one or two AUX sends for monitors). Start with them flat, and use them as CUT ONLY to deal with feedback. Always start with the monitors, as that is what will cause the feedback in all but the most challenging rooms. Most of the time you won't touch the EQ on the mains.

18. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Many thanks for the advice!

Is there any way that I can put a compressor channel on a sub group insert on the Mackie CFX 12 desk? I would like to sub group all my vocals and add a little compression, but I cant see any kind of sub insert on the desk just a sub out put for 1,2,3,4.

Any one help me on this?

Many thanks

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

I would add to this to use it also as a quasi-highpass. There's no reason for monitors to be stressed with anything under 100-150hz, meaning bring all sliders to the bottom below that point. It'll allow you to run them hotter if need be and clear up the stuff you do need to hear out of them. Pretty much no need for anything above 8-10khz either.

20. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Is there any way that I can put a compressor channel on a sub group insert on the Mackie CFX 12 desk? I would like to sub group all my vocals and add a little compression, but I cant see any kind of sub insert on the desk just a sub out put for 1,2,3,4.