Running two distortions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Just wanted to ask a question to anyone who's done this before. I'm getting an M-80 D.I. in a month or so, and I was gonna run it at the end of my pedal chain as a second, lighter distortion, with my PD7 giving me the main heavy distortion. My 'clean' tone would have the MXR, and then I'd kick the PD7 in. I was unsure of the best way to set the MXR however, but I was thinking of two main ways:

1. Lots of gain, but lots of the original clean blended in.
    2. Low gain, medium blend setting, perhaps even favouring the drive.

The other alternatives is that the MXR only sounds good as a full on face melting thing, in which case I'll either switch between the two for different 'flavours' or(very unlikely) sell my PD7 and use the MXR's distortion channel as a stompbox. The PD7 does not do subtle, and I've read that the MXR isn't as warm as a BDDI, but I'm not after warm, I just want a not-so-clean sound that multiplies the gain of a distortion paced before it. Hopefully the gain will make the cleaner parts of my playing stand out, i.e. added harmonics. I also need a good D.I., everyone in my locality is stuck with Behringer Ultra D.I.'s, and they ain't good for bass.

So, my question is, how would the PD7 heavy distortion react to the MXR set in the two ways above? Which method would give an altogether more focused, heavy sound when the distortion is on, and a different clean sound with good articulation when the PD7 is bypassed?