Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tama_drumster, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tama_drumster

tama_drumster

Nov 2, 2005
    Rush is such an awesome band! They are all such talented musicians and one of the best progressive rock bands isnce the 1970s. Neil Peart is the best percussionist and Geddy Lee is a terrific vocalist and bass player. What do u guys think of Rush? If you're interested, I heard from a friend at umvd that Rush is coming out with a dvd of a 2004 concert and other footages of their work and interviews. Should be a great dvd, I can't wait for it to come out at the end of November. Heres an article of the dvd that I came across: http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/sanctuary/rush_r30.htm

2. Rush kicks ass. I can't wait to get this DVD, I heard about it like a month ago and I've been bugging out for it ever since.
    Geddy is a great bassist but sometimes his voice annoys me..SOMETIMES
    Niel is amazing on the drums. Every time I hear his solo in YYZ I'm a little baffled.
    The guitar player (Alex? I forget) is pretty good too. Lots of awesome stuff, but never too crazy. I love that, all their stuff fits together perfectly.
    You can really hear it in the music, these guys go together like peanut butter and jelly. I guess that's why they've stayed together with the same members for like 30 years.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, Rush are indeed great, I love them (can you tell?)!

I have never had the pleasure of seeing them live, unfortunatley :crying:

But this dvd sounds awesome, I'll definatley have to pick that one up. If only they did more stuff from the late 80's live... :bag:

4. Rush are the embodiment of excellence. They are in the top 5 of the most important rock statistics imaginable. Tickets sold, number of gold albums, number of platinum albums, consecutive gold and platinum albums.

IMHO, they are in the top 5 acts ever. Few bands have garnered the respect and jaw dropping chops and consistency as these guys. Have you heard Vapor Trails? They are just getting better and better!

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Rush is my ALLTIME favorite band. Geddy is my biggest inspiration.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Rush is up there in my books. I'm a bit ashamed to say I only got into them recently.

7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm really looking foward to this dvd as well. I saw them live for the first time on this tour last year and thought they were awesome.

8. tama_drumster

tama_drumster

Nov 2, 2005
    The dvd was also shot with high definition cameras so the video and sound quality is going to be great. The deluxe dvd is called R30 to celebrate their 30th anniversary as a band together and I can't wait to see all the extra footage of interviews and more they have stored on the dvd as well as their concert of course.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Rush is jesus.

I got to see the first show of the Vapor Trails tour, the first time they had played in public in a good six years.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The only thing that irked me about the Vapor Trails tour was the fact that thy played Resist as an acoustic duo...

I liked it, but it was nowhere near as good as the electric version. The album version just sounds so much "bigger".

I still love them though :D

11. Kosta

Kosta

Mar 22, 2005
    I just watched rush in rio, and it got me so pumped for the R30.

12. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    People thought I was nuts when I tried explaining to them the pirates of the Temples of Syrinx... now I'll be able to show them!

"The hardest thing about being a pirate captain... is making the sandwiches for all the other pirates." :eyebrow:

13. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    I may even pitch a tent and camp out at the local DVD store the night before it's released...

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's this kind of dedication that warms my heart...

I think I'll just go to a 24 hour store!

15. Anyone got links to a video or clip or something?

16. Um, "Pirates of the temples of Syrinx"? Please do explain that one, as the lyrics to 2112 go "priests of the temples of Syrinx." Is this some inside joke I'm missing?

17. On the R30 shows Geddy sang 'pirates' of Syrinx in his best Long John Silver voice, to a backdrop of Skulls and Crossbones. Don't know if this has a deeper meaning, but it was funny. :D

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Here's a link to a sampler clip that Rush had on their website

Rush R30 Preview

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm taking this time to tell my story!

So August 22nd. My friend and I left for Toronto from Niagara Falls, on a Greyhound bus. We had about 500 bucks in cash in our pockets, and no tickets. We planned on getting them scalped. So we got to Toronto at about 6:00. The concert started at 7:30 (Approx.) We hopped on a street car, and a nice guy saw my shirt and asked if we were going to the concert. I jumped up and said Yes. He then offered us tickets. Two for $150.00. Seemed fair. We got the Molsen Ampitheater, and got inside. I was the happiest guy in the world. I was ACTUALLY going to see Rush, and only Rush. I saw them at SARSstock, but I knew it wasen't going to be like this. So we had grass seats. But, we didn't sit there. So I hopped over the isle, and sat in a chair with my friend beside me. Then, the people who had tickets for htose seats came.
    We stood in the isle. No seats, just standing. Then, we saw the video of (I don't remember his name) The actor from Seinfeld. Then, Rush came out,in all their glory and played their medley. A tear came down my face. Seriously.

Intermission rolled around, and I called my mom back home to update her. Then we went back in, and saw the ticket guy who was standing to the 100's seats. Instinctivly, I jumped two rows of seats, and walked down the isle BEHIND the ticket guy, so he thought I was already in the 100's. :D
    We walk down to the seats above floor. From row of the 100's. I asked if the guy standing at the gate going down was the ticketguy. He wasn't. So I asked if he'd let two fellow Rush fans down to the floor without saying anything. He opend the gate, winked and we walked down to the floor.

Then, Rush came out again. Standing a mere 20 FEET FROM GEDDY, I felt another tear roll down as they played One Little Victory (I believe). And I stood on the floor, with my friend, and had the greatest day of our lives. Alex waved to where my friend and I were (I don't know if it was to us, but it was my area) And when they threw the shirt out, I had it in my hands, then my arm was hit and someone else got it. Pathetic what people will do...
    After the concert, we talked to the sound guy (I can't remember his name for the life of me) and we talked to a couple lighting guys. We shook their hands from over the gate and up the stage and congratulated them.

I just had to tell my story to you guys. It was the best day of my life.

BTW: Rush DVD, North American Release: NOV22nd. Shot in Frankfurt, Germany.

20. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    SWEEEEEEEEEEEET! :hyper: