Russian Big Muff Pi Problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by workinthecorner, Jan 25, 2020.

1. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    I've got an old Black Russian Big Muff Pi and LOVE the thick fuzz tone I get from it (also the first pedal I ever bought, so the sentimental tone is also on point). However, it has one particular problem I'm hoping someone has seen with it or other pedals before.

Basically when I go to turn the pedal OFF, occasionally there's a huge volume/tone drop (i.e. with it disengaged, back to clean tone). I can fix it by re-engaging and dis-engaging the pedal, but it would be nice to consistently have the pedal turn off correctly especially in live settings, vs. having to double tap it quickly to get back to normal.

Any thoughts?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Sounds like it needs a new footswitch.

IronLung1986 likes this.
  3. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    I took it into the only guitar shop around me that does pedals a couple years ago and I want to say they swapped the footswitch, to no avail.

4. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Googled the pedal a bit, and seems they are not true bypass. If the pedal works good otherwise, I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the bypass part of the circuit. A true bypass mod seems to be popular for these pedals, and should take care of your problem.

5. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    Sounds good! If that's the case - anyone have references for online pedal repair places?

6. workinthecorner

workinthecorner

May 12, 2012
    Update - think I've found a much cheaper solution with one of these "looper" pedals - 1 Looper (Micro, LED Version). Thinking I can just leave the Muff on all the time and use this cheap pedal to control whether my signal reaches the Muff or not, eliminating problems with using the actual Muff's on/off switch.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021