Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryan "ryknow" Martinie warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Does anybody know if its possible if warwick does custom orders or if i can get a thumb bass like his black ones? Does anybody know if anything is diffrent from the stock one? And to anybody who has seen them live I swore I thought I also seen a green stained thumb bass. Has anybody else seen this?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go to Warwickbass.com, load the price list/options that should tell you the costs to expect. I think a gloss stain finish is a 300 dollar option on instruments that feature satin stained finishes.

Don't know if this is an option on the Thumb as most have a natural finish.

He only played a Bubinga Thumb, and the Black Thumb when I saw them on the Sanitarium Tour, so I can't comment on whether he has a green one or not. Wouldn't surprise me though, I imagine Warwick is giving him instruments left and right.

Have you checked out the newest DVD, I bought and I think the sound is really bad on it.

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    They posted a video on the official site from a Warwick promotional video thing where Ryan was featured. He had about 5 basses on his rack I think (around there)

One of them being the new Vampyre one. Meaning 4 of them were the Thumbs. I know he has a 4 and 5 Bubinga NT's, and at least the black Thumb 4.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The only thing custom that I know of on his Thumbs are that he has Ebony boards on all of them. Of course the black one is a custom finish, but still just a Thumb with an Ebony board. I've seen them several times now, and all that I have seen in terms of his basses were 4 and 5 string Thumbs. I didn't see a green tinted one, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have one. Warwick is very liberal with their endorsement deals.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    you have the custom options at the warwick site, listed with price, but custom-made Warwicks are quite expensive...

the German site has some featured customs every now & then...
    http://www.warwick.de
    and from there, the German and Custom Shop...

Anyway, a thumb sounds and looks good enough by itself... And my corvette 6, too :D :D

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Who is Ryan Martinie?

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Shame on you...bass player from the band Mudvayne...unless you were using sarcasim

BTW...I have the Mudvayne DVD...it seems I did see a green thumb...no pun iontended...I'll have to watch it again tonight now to see

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I was just pointing out that there are so many people here who enjoy reading the posts and will want to know new things about bassists and basses so the best thing to do is say "Ryan from Mudvayne" or "Robert from Metallica" or "Whoever from whatever band"

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Agreed...I just started to listen to mUdvayne but as soon as I heard their song "Wolrd so Cold"...I went and bought the their latest CD..then I bought the older one...then I bought the live DVD...pretty cool stuff as far as Ryan the bassist goes...to me he has quite a unique playing style and tone....on the live DVD Ilove how he stalks the stage at times like he's a beast looking for his next meal! Just pure energy coming out of him.

10. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    The only thing "custom" about his basses are the ebony frettboard and 18volt electroics. The paint is something warwick will gladly do if u ask them for it. I believe its a small upcharge. Then again...a warwick with paint just pisses me off. They are far too pretty to be painted.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Sensible question, man, don't feel too out of it. While I know who he is by proxy from round here, i've never seen or heard him/them myself. Apparently plays Warwicks, though, and pretty well.

I think I'm almost afraid to give them a listen, afraid that I'll just hear another Fieldy or something.

Can anybody give me an approximation of how Ryknow and Mudvayne sound? Just spelling things like that makes me think awful things about the band (although bands like Korn and Linkin Park *have* put out tunes I enjoy...)

12. Certainly.

wrooooowrwr popitty slap slap Boing wroooowrwr dubblekick popitty slap slap "beat the face of any *********** who thinks they can change me" wrooooowrwr popitty slap slap Boing wroooowrwr dubblekick "DIG! Bury Meh" wrooooowrwr popitty slap slap Boing wroooowrwr dubblekick

remember that one? Good starting point

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    who's mudvayne?

f

14. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I would describe them as a mix of Tool and Slipknot.Closest i can get

15. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    he was in bass player last year, said that he has a different nut, a brass one i believe.

16. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    They really are a pretty good band. If you like some of the KoRn stuff you *may* like some of the Mudvayne stuff. It's pretty heavy so if you don't like heavier stuff you may not like them. The Tool/Slipknot comparison isn't too bad, though much more towards the Tool side.

I'd suggest downloading "Death Blooms" (first CD), "World So Cold" (2nd CD) and "Not Falling" (2nd) as starters so see how you like them. Those are pretty good and show some of the variance they have in their music.

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    for truly "heavy stuff", check out Naked City's Torture Garden.

everything else pales, sorry.

f

18. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    And who is this a band??? Got links...I'll bite.

19. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  20. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, I really like Tool a lot so I'll have to give them a try. Slipknot thus far have been pretty much "okay" from what I have heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.