Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ryknow (Ru-D)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Jun 9, 2004.

1. prof_nutbutter

prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    Germany
    wot u lot reckon about mudvayne's bassist, i think he is wicked, his technique is awesome, i watched some videos and i think he is such a brilliant bassist, but one thing was strange, it looks like he is picking about 2 notes at the same time, but with a kind of weird technique. (this should be in the technique section, just no idea how you call it).
    so please, wot do u think about him and wot about this technique?

prof :bassist:

2. Search...

3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Very helpful indeed mr Tyler

Yes, he seems to possess some skills that are not very common in the nu-metal universe that saw Mudvayne's birth.
    I don't know the name of his technique but if I recall, it was a variation of tapping. Still, try and search his name or the band at the old files, if you have the chance, get in contact with bass player and ask if they can send you the issue with him on the cover.

4. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Greetings,

i am a mudvayne FANatic, i love mudvayne and i study ryan (ryknow). The technique you are talking about is his strumming technique, where he uses the fingernail of his pointing finger and his thumb to strum usually the A and G strings, if u notice he strums the octaves. His technique is flawless in my opinion. He is just an amazing bassist. I love his little techniques that he does that ive seen no one else do. Also, if you ever watched the L.D. 50 (live dosage) dvd, youll see on the song 'Severed' he taps. If you listen to the album on Severed, #11, the really slow breakdown is ryan tapping, just amazing!! He does the most unexplained things on bass and they sound so good. I just think that he is brilliant. He takes all these diferent influences and puts them into metal, just amazing.

Kind Regards.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    He's good. I like him.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    hes good, but he comes extremley close to over-bassing sometimes. Still, he has taught alot of bass players alot of things though.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm sensing sarcasm, but yes Mr. Tyler's post was very helpful. Tons and tons of threads about Ryan exsist on our website, so I'm sure everything he's ever done has already been discussed.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought LD stood for Lethal Dosage? Or in that case is it 'live' bc its a live performance?

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

it does...

ryan is good...