Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sad news for Sydney bassists.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Matthew Tucker, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Luthier and bassist Alan Riley passed away a couple of days ago; a sudden massive heart attack.

Alan ran The Bass Shop in Cabarita, and was one of only a very few luthiers in this town. His shop - a quiet, dark and somewhat mysterious place - was always jam packed with basses in all states of repair. Alan was the first guy I spoke to when I was deciding to learn DB; he sat me down, made me very welcome and gave me a lot of very useful and sage advice, not all of which I heeded at the time! He was a kind, generous and - I always thought - rather stately character, with a mischievous sense of humour. He was always ready to help with setup and repairs at short notice, often at no charge, and I'm sure he helped many bassists out of a tight spot.

I'll certainly miss pushing that narrow white door open unannounced, and spending an hour in the company of Alan, his blue curl of cigarette smoke and the forty or more double basses in his workshop.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That is indeed sad. My condolences, Matthew.

3. Very sad to hear!

(Although it's been about 15 years since I've seen Alan) Alan Riley was a fine chap. He did some nice setup work for me when I was playing and always found the time to talk and let people play his basses. He also put a few gigs my way.

His positive approach will live on amoung the many Sydney Bass players he has helped out.

4. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Family and friends are invited to attend his funeral service, to be held in the North Chapel of Northern Suburbs Crematorium on Monday (December 13, 2004) commencing at 1.15 p.m.