1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Saddle help needed pretty bad and 1 other question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Broke, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I have a stripped (what I call) socket set thread in one of my saddles. I can back it out I'm pretty sure with channel locks or vice grips. But where can I get a replacement for this? I have been to 2 hardware stores and they have them but not nearly long enough to be able to set the saddle height on my bass. Ernie Ball Stingray 2005 model.

I was playing last night and all of the sudden the D string just went dud on me especially on the 2nd and 3rd fret (E and F notes). It sounded ok going toward the body but those frets just THUD. I have been playing 4 years and this has never happened to me. I'm trying to figure out if neck, string, saddle, etc. are wrong. I had this professionally set up 5 months ago. And it's just that 1 string.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I think what your looking for is called a grub screw, I am English so it may be a different word in US English, look on the bridge for a manufacturer’s name and hit the web or try in a music store

3. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    referred to as a "set" screw in North America

kodiakblair likes this.
  4. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015

Yes, definitely a set screw. I can't find one long enough. Going to call Ernie Ball I guess.

5. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Check out McMaster Carr website. They should have both Imperial and Metric in most any length.

fhm555 likes this.
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I second the suggestion of Mc Master Card. For the sound issue I would try a new string.

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    And maybe get into the habit of kinking the string just in front of where you snip it to size. I don't do this, but maybe I should. I saw Scott Devine do this in a youtube video. Said it prevented the "dead" string phenomenon.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    They don’t have the grub screws needed for a Fender pure vintage bridge. I had to go elsewhere to get 6-32 x 7/16 hex head grub screws.

9. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Are you sure they don't have it? Look at part 92311A147, a cup point stainless set screw in 6-32 z 7/16.

Disclaimer: I've never used this part, I was just so surprised that there would be a threaded part they didn't have so I went looking in their catalog.

10. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Once you get it out take it to an automotive fastener store in your area.
    Odds are they can match it.
    Actually , best bet is to take a good one so they can also match the head type.