Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alanbass1, Feb 13, 2006.

1. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Ever since letting go of my old SVT head I have always had a hankering for another decent valve head that could cut it with the insanely loud drummer that I have to contend with. The SVT could certainly do it, but the weight was such that I just gave it up in the end. I did borrow a friends Aguilar DB359 which sounded great but just didn't have the headroom I was looking for. For this reason I have steered away from 200 watt valve amps and the higher powered amps like Mesa/SVTs are just too heavy for me.

Has anyone tried the new Sadowsky amp. AT 19kg it is a lot lighter than the SVT and Mesa 400+ and with KT88's should, in theory, take it closer to a 300 watt output. If so, any comments on the headroom.

2. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Tombowlus started a long thread on the SA200, try a search under "The Eagle Has Landed". I don't think the warranty covers 6550/KT88's though, they come standard with EL-34B STR's.

3. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Well, after spending an age going through this thread, most of which had no relevance to the amp, it still did not answer my questions. Has anyone tried this head with 6550/KT88's and, if so, what was the increase in headroom and impact on tone?

I guess if no-one has yet done this I might mail Sadowsky and request whether they would ship a head with 6550's installed for a 7 day approval period.

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    If you can find a used Trace Elliot V Series head, they weigh 26Kg. Real loud and quite managable.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The amp if fairly new and not too many people own it. I only know of about 2 guys on tb that own one and maybe 7-8 prople may own it in the states.