1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky - instrument setup tips

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, May 2, 2010.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Pickup height:

(bass fretted at the last fret)

Under the "G" string:
    Neck = 6/64"
    Bridge = 6/64"

Under the "E/B" string
    Neck = 7/64"
    Bridge = 7/64"

PJs:
    P Pickup (Reverse or standard):
    G String = 6/64"
    A String = 8/64"
    B String = 7/64"

J pickup :
    Treble = 5/64"
    Bass = 6/64"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

String Height

Hold down the first fret, measure off the top of the 12th fret (keep the ruler as level as you can.) take the reading from the bottom of the string.

4/5 string fretted:
    -"G" 5/64ths
    -"D" 5.5 /64ths
    -"A" 5.5 /64ths
    -"E" 6/64ths
    -"B" 6.5 /64ths

** If you want lower action..4 - 5.5/64ths with gradual increments.

4/5 string fretless:
    G=4/64"
    D=4.5/64"
    A=4.5/64"
    E=5/64"
    B=5.5/64"

You can even go as low as (G) 3/64"- (B) 5/64", but I would start with the the higher, also depends on your attack.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

TolerancEJ and Fred312b like this.
  2. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Wow Fran, no mm's? You have taken the trouble to cater to the colonies! Also, I might add that on my Sadowskys it's easy to get the action as low as 2mm under the G string at the 12th fret, and 2.5mm under the E string. Personally I like it a bit higher but that's how low my 5 string came setup, and not a buzz to be had. The board was almost completely flat. I was used to more relief, but am having no issues with it. Amazing fretwork.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Thanx Fran. Permanantly stickied now.

Rob

4. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Rob (dragonbass) sent me this when I started to setup my own basses. These are the measurements they use with every bass that leaves their shop. Unless specified of course!

String Height

Hold down the first fret, measure off the top of the 12th fret (keep the ruler as level as you can.) take the reading from the bottom of the string.

4/5 string..
    -"G" 5/64ths
    -"D" 5.5 /64ths
    -"A" 5.5 /64ths
    -"E" 6/64ths
    -"B" 6.5 /64ths

** If you want lower action..4 - 5.5/64ths with gradual increments.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You forgot to mention that the relief should be set as flat as possible without having the 1st fret buzz.

I first read Roger's setup techniques in a mag years ago, and use it for all of my basses. It is just right.

6. I read that too, and I'm curious to know how hard you should pluck to check for first fret buzz. Do you pluck it as hard as the hardest notes you play or is it a more standard lighter pluck?

7. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Do you have any idea how I can access that mag. article? It sounds like an advisable download. Thanks man.

8. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Thanks a bunch .You just made my christmas card list!

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    setup is always related to individual playing style. If you pluck hard when you're playing you should setup the bass accordingly.

10. For Metric People

Pickup height:

(bass fretted at the last fret)
    Under the "G" string:
    Neck = 6/64" 2.4 mm
    Bridge = 6/64” 2.4 mm

Under the "E/B" string
    Neck = 7/64" 2.8 mm
    Bridge = 7/64" 2.8 mm

PJs:
    P Pickup (Reverse or standard):
    G String = 6/64" 2.4 mm
    A String = 8/64" 3.6 mm
    B String = 7/64" 2.8 mm

J pickup :
    Treble = 5/64" 2 mm
    Bass = 6/64" 2 mm

String Height

4/5 string:
    -"G" 5/64ths 2 mm
    -"D" 5.5 /64ths 2.2 mm
    -"A" 5.5 /64ths 2.2 mm
    -"E" 6/64ths 2.4 mm
    -"B" 6.5 /64ths 2.6 mm

baTassi likes this.
  11. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maybe a stupid question:
    But what about on a fretless? :bag:

12. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    Hey Demon,

Not a stupid question....

G=4/64"
    D=4.5/64"
    A=4.5/64"
    E=5/64"
    B=5.5/64"

You can even go as low as (G) 3/64"- (B) 5/64", but I would start with the the higher, also depends on your attack.

Robert

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Ok, I finally got a suitable ruler to do this accurately, and let me say WOW, this makes a HUGE difference in feel/sound. I recently switched to flats on my PJ5, and after trying to set things by feel on my own was sad to lose that magic shop setup that this bass had when I recieved it. Now I have it again. LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

14. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
  15. The only thing I do with mine is to slightly lower the G and D strings to more evenly follow the radius of the board. It feels great that way!