Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HiFi, Jul 19, 2004.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Can anyone give me some info. on Sadowsky pickups that they sell on their site? I'm just interested to know what they sound like compared to other brands like EMG an others. Haven't heard much about them being installed in basses other than Sadowsky's.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

It's my understanding the Dimarzio site states the ultra Jazz is installed in some Sadowsky basses and is the same pup except the Sadowsky has elevated pole pieces for center strings.

So my guess is, that's not an isolated case.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I've not seen that on the dimarzio site, are you sure?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'm positive it's my undestanding. The Dimarzio site loads like molasses on my computer so I didn't followup on it but I've ran across enough references so that I'd be suprised otherwise. Plus there was no mention of where on the site it was. Better things to do and it's something that will be verified or not over time.

I mentioned cause I figure anyone who's interested would followup up themselves, I would.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

From What i understand the Pick Ups are Roger's design and are made by Dimarzio.They are truly sweet sounding pickups, very evenly balanced. :bassist:

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW

The particular reference I recall was by a guy that has a site that even listed soundclips of both and made reference to them sounding very similar. I think I originally ran across it in a post of his on talkbass. But I've ran across it elsewhere as well. He's posted under various pickup reviews and just list the link to his site. Pretty sure he did that in harmonycentral.com for the ultra jazz and I'm pretty sure on his site he mentioned the Dimarzio site reference. If I hadn't ran across it from several sources I wouldn't have thought much of it.

The only time I've been into the Dimarzio site looking through their bass pups was quite a while back and I didn't recall any reference to the Sadowsky - and that I'd probably remember. So if it's on the Dimarzio site, I don't think it's under their descriptions of their pickups. But if you track this guy down, I'd almost bet he'd know where it was located.

No intention of stirring up rumor with my initial post. Just was a piece that fit the thread and, if I'd had intiated it, I'd want the info.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I remember the same site. Dimarzio definitely make the pickups for Sadowsky, no big deal.

Anyway, this guy tried DM UJ's and Sadowsky's side by side and felt there was little difference.

8. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    From the samples that guy has the two sound very similar only slight differences in sound.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Yep, that be it. Thanks Smash. Anyway Bassable, if you're interested you can email the guy and he could probably tell you where on the Dimarzio site he read that.

10. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Thanks. All helpful comments.

11. I put Dimarzio Pick-ups on a bass that i had and they were my favorite Jazz sounding Pick-ups ever!!! :bassist:

12. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Some of my pickups are made to my specs at DiMarzio and the others are made to my specs at Basslines.

Roger

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Pretty cool.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Sadowsky/ Dimarzio...whatever.....they sound GREAT. I have Rogers humcancelling J pickups in my Lull MV5 with the stock Bart 3 band pre that came with the Lull.

I can use the passive bypass option to get a rounder vintage tone, and a more modern scooped funk thang with the pre-amp engaged.

I LOVE what the 3 band Bart EQ does for the Sadowsky pickups. Warms them up but retains the snappy acoustic "zing" Very dynamic. Dialing in some 800hz mids is just puuuuuurfect. I had a Metro with the stock Sad pre amp, this is combination is much better for me.

This IS the sound I was going after. I'm enthusiastic!

15. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

Oz has spoken! :D

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I have the Sadowsky Humcancelling Jazz pickups in my Fender and they sound great. I haven't compared them to UJs but I understand they are similar in sound and design. They are wired slightly differently, in that they have two wires soldered together at the pickup (no four long wires like the UJs) and they have a separate ground wire besides the positive and negative wires.

And great communication with Sadowsky when I ordered them - a very nice company to do business with.

17. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've used both the HC and the SC...both pu's are awesome...I tend to like the SC the best because they give a more open and to me growly sound...but the HC is nice and phat!...I did try Fralins in a sadowsky at one time, but the sadowsky single coil just sounded better in that bass...I play a regular jazz now, and to me the fralins sound better with that bass... :meh: :bassist:

18. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The SCs sound slightly better, agreed. For me, the lack of noise is worth the tradeoff. I also agree about Fralins and how different basses "like" different pickups.

That said, if it weren't for the noise, the stock 62RI pickups also sounded very good and I would have been happy with them. Except for the noise.

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Lyle, you should try it with an evidence cable also... ;), just kiddin', we've been there!