1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky RV4 vs. Fender Jazz: can you hear the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Boisen, Apr 8, 2020.

Which bass is which?

Poll closed Apr 10, 2020.
  1. Bass 1 is the Sadowsky, Bass 2 is the Fender

46 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Bass 1 is the Fender, Bass 2 is the Sadowsky

39 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Autumn Leaves makes me think of carrots

18 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Since our thread “'62 Precision vs '72 Precision: can you hear the difference?” got a such positive response, @Robert Strickland and I decide to record a version of the jazz standard “Autumn Leaves” to compare the sound of his Sadowsky Metroline RV4 to my Fender American Elite Jazz Bass.

Both basses were recorded direct with no effects, EQ or compression. Both basses were in active mode with the onboard EQ set flat and both are strung with the same strings (D’Addario NYXL 45-100) that are about two months old. Unlike the last comparison where I played both basses, Bob and I played our respective instruments since the state we live in has enacted a stay at home order and comparing electric basses is somehow considered non-essential ;).

For this exercise, we will call the bass that plays the melody first and solos second “Bass 1”. This bass is also panned left, while “Bass 2” is panned right. It’s up to you to guess which one is the Sadowsky and which one is the Fender.

Autumn Leaves Bass Duet

Basses.jpg

- Steve & Robert

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. No idea. They sound the same to me...

TrustRod and dkelley like this.
  3. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I liked the Fender better - Bass 2

4. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Hello Seeve. Retired from everything (except bass and piano) and living in Dade City.

5. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Unless Bass 2 is the Sadowsky. I just added a poll so be sure to vote.

- Steve

6. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I was kinda almost thinking that maybe bass #2 is the Sadowsky, but after hearing the duet you guys played, then that subsequent track, was it "Bass Intro"? I could care less which is which and things like that. Your tracks sound great! Playing like this is what gets me interested and worked up, not some minute difference between two nice basses that 99% of audience members will never hear much less appreciate.

(I do appreciate the effort the two of you went to on recording Autumn Leaves. Just for different reasons than probably most...:D)

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    Wow! it's harder to compare those two nice jazz tones!! On the right, there's something a little "warmer", but on the left, I hear a fuller mids! For me, the Sadowsky is #2... But, both of you sound's really good and a very nice bouncy walking bass! :)

9. Thank you!

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Sadowsky on the left.
    Jazz bass on the right.

lowdownthump and Juice Box like this.
  11. Thanks for participating! There’s a poll at the top where we are keeping track of the data. Don’t forget to vote in that poll!

12. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    My guess is:
    Bass 1: Fender.
    Bass 2: Sadowsky.

Will you tell us if we're right?

WillieB and Burwabit like this.
  13. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    We'll revel the answer in a few days.

- Steve

JFLbass likes this.
  14. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:D:D:D

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. J. Brooks

J. Brooks Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Preamp on the right sounds less transparent to me.

16. I listened on my iPhone with the speaker up to my ear, so clearly this is scientific. Bass 1 seemed to stand out more to me while still sitting in the mix well, which I think is an attribute of Sadowskys (right?).

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    bass 1 (left ch.) fender elite jb. bass 2 ( right ch.) sadowsky.

18. FourStringFunk

FourStringFunk

Oct 13, 2016
    Bass 1 clearly sounds like a red bass. Bass 1 is the Sadowsky.

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Bass 1 = Sadowsky

20. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Having owned several jazz basses and a Sadowsky RV4 I can assure you there is a difference. I intentionally have not listened to the recording above as I usually find the frequency range on a laptop makes it difficult to determine a clear preference. Based on my own experience over a year owning and playing both, the Sadowsky comes set up to play better and has a wider variety of tones with its preamp. Comparing it to my CS 64 Jazz and original 63, I felt the Fender tone sat more naturally in the mix. The Sadowsky was the easiest playing bass I have ever owned, low action and absolutely no buzz, yet I felt myself tonally drawn back to the Fender. With hindsight I think this may have been the humcancelling pickups on the Sadowsky versus the single coils on the Fender, and perhaps I should have swapped them out. I still feel myself drawn to try a Will Lee Sadowsky with its single coils, and maybe one day I will. But to me, and for me, there is no doubt that I preferred my Sadowsky RV4 and there is a clear tonal difference. I no longer have my RV4, but a Will Lee has just become available....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021