1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky/Warwick Announcement Video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PRS-Man23, Jan 13, 2020.

1. PRS-Man23

PRS-Man23 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Boston, MA
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is interesting. Not surprisingly, there were some significant shortcuts taken to get the MetroExpress at the more or less $1,000 mark like no VTC and a less expensive bridge.

Reedt2000 and PRS-Man23 like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really want to get my hands on a MetroExpress when it comes out. I want to know if it feels like a Sadowsky in my hands. If it feels like a Sadowsky, has the signature sound, and has the expected fit and finish, it will be worth the money. It will be very interesting to see how this bass will compare to Sire V7 second generation or a V10. €739 is $823.09, I am guessing that that is the four string price, and that is within $200 of a Sire.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. PRS-Man23

PRS-Man23 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I agree. That’s a very competitive price point for a Sadowsky branded instrument....
    Looking forward to trying one out, I’m sure they will be nice instruments otherwise Roger would not be putting his name/reputation on the line here. I believe he truly wants to get as many players in the door with a Sadowsky bass. Can’t wait to see some better videos come NAMM!

5. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    You can tell the man(Roger) is very detailed oriented and a perfectionist. I'm confident the metro Express are going to be amazing instruments with an attractive price point. Can't wait

6. That's a very nice Koa top on the Sadowsky Master Built bass.

Reedt2000, Woodchuck and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    5:45.
    Fender copies.
    Sighs.
    Turns and walks to the door

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have no problem with Roger doing what's best for Sadowsky and Co...

... which also includes Roger, by the way.

I say enjoy your retirement Roger, no matter what you want to do!

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The first metro's didn't come standard with VTC, when I ordered NAMM 3 of 5 (RV5) my first Sadowsky, I had to pay an upcharge to get the VTC. I miss that bass. All three of those price points are REAL good. The Metro Express appears to give a good run to the Sire's, although if Ovankol is similar to mahogany it will sound a bit different than a standard J. From what I've seen Mahogany is a great body material for a rocker that wants a thicker tone. The Metro's with a retail similar to American standard Fenders will be a steal if the retain Sadowsky's QC and set up. And the Metro Masterbuilts could be sleepers, priced like a new Metro with NYC chambered bodies and features. From a marketing standpoint, I'd love to be a sales rep. Roger, are you listening? :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds like a great second career.:thumbsup:

11. Jamarvic

Jamarvic

Aug 5, 2009
    I prefer traditional alder/ash, but definitely intrigued by the metro express at sub $800 price point.

SwitchGear and bassman74 like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    @CyberSnyder, what do you think of the changes made to the Chinese MetroExpress Sadowsky’s?

13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That masterbuilt with Duncan soapbars is pretty sweet lookin...

14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    My initial impression is that it seems to be battling with Sire an I would expect quality similar to a Chinese-made Warwick of a similar price.

Dr. Cheese and Jamarvic like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Hmmm........imagine buying a Sadowsky and having to mod it.....no thanks. I'd much rather wait out a good deal for a real deal Sadowsky. A Sadowsky with a cheap bridge and probably tuners? Nope! I would hope the preamp is not a cheap Chinese version. The only plus is the weight guaranteed being 9lbs or less. You'd think they'd want to get it right. He said the logo was wrong and something else (can't remember).

pigpen1 and Dave Hill like this.
  17. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'd take the sire, personally. With no VTC I'd have no way to get roll back the high end. Just my thoughts.

What I hate is the jump from the metro express at <$800 nothing else until $2400. Giving up the sweet spot for me personally at around $1500

johnson79 and BeefPie84 like this.
  18. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Are the really shooting for the Sire market? Maybe, but no vtc would make me pick the sire easily.

This is Roger's way of semi-retiring and cashing out. Good for him.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Having a passive tone pot does give a real advantage to Sire, still I need to play and handle a Chinese Warwick Sadowsky before I came to any conclusions. A lot of times playability and overall construction can make up for simpler electronics. Furthermore, Sadowsky made his reputation long before he added the VTC.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  20. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Sell your Metro expresses now before the cat's out of the bag and your instrument loses half its value.

Also it's fascinating that he hasn't made an affordable entry-level instrument for his entire career spanning almost 45 years but all of a sudden in semi-retirement he will.... let's be clear, this isn't cashing out, this is a mass dilution of the brand with money as the motivation. If anything this will just make NYC Masterbuilt more valuable down the line.

StayLow and scowboy like this.