Sadowsky....worth the price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Just curious.....seems a bit rediculous especially for the Metro series....

I know "you get what you pay for".....but $3500-$4500???? Come on now.... Maybe $1000 worth of material with hardware.... is the design and craftsmanship THAT good?

Just curious, Never played one, but would like to, to see what all the noise is about...
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I can't tell you personally, but I don't think I've ever heard from a dissatisfied Sadowsky owner.
  3. Hmmm. Let's try an analogy. The Ameritech McLaren was a supercar produced in the 1990's. The price? 1 million. Excluding R&D, the total price of the materials most likely did not approach that figure, but if wanted to go 230+ mph, that's what you paid.

I do not have a million dollars. I will most likely never own one. I will not spend anytime debating their worth.

4. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    This guy once said to me (and I am paraprashing):

"The value of something is only what someone is willing to pay for it."

So is it "worth" it? That's debatable.
  5. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

How many times can we have this same thread.

6. Being a bit conservative, aren't we?

7. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you don't like Sadowsky prices, buy a Valenti.
  8. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    If you're not willing to pay that price for a Sadowsky, the solution is quite simple: don't get one. Personally, I think that Sadowskys are worth every penny. Go and try one: gig with it and record. It is very probable that you will like one.

A friend of mine ( a pro bassplayer) got a Sadowsky in the early 90's. HE had been playing pre-CBS Fenders, pre-Ernie Ball musicmans etc. The moment he tried the Sadowsky, he knew it was his bass and sold all of his other basses, except for one pre-Gibson Tobias. He has now been playing his Sadowsky for over 15 years, and he is very satisfied. I asked for the price of the bass, and he told me that he will only sell it over his dead body :D I've been a Sadowsky user for about a half a year, and I am very satisfied with it.
  9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Nope. Not worth it at all. Save your money and buy an MIA Jazz bass. They are just as good from what I hear. :rolleyes:
  10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Yes, it is. But then, so are my:
    Ken Lawrence Brase 5
    MTD 535
    Lakland 55-94

and I just bought a Sadowsky 5 24F - doggone thing is addictive!

Dan K.
  11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    You know how an SX is worth like 100 bucks? A Sadowsky is just a good of price for it's tone and playibility.
  12. Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Folks, where can I try a Sadowsky in the LA/Hollywood area? I'd like to try for myself, but have never even seen one in person. Never seen a Lakland either, for that matter.

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Amp SHop/Bass Exchange on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks.

They have Metro's
  14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Exactly. Here's another way I tend to explain it. I have a deal with Warwick, my prices for basses from them are ridiculously low (less than half the price of a NEW NYC) YET... I choose to pay FULL PRICE for the Sadowsky's. Roger's stuff is simply that good.

Also, it is the ONLY bass I have found sof ar that doesn't have dead spots in the neck. I play a lot of modern country music. A fellow country bassist who also plays Sadowsky said it best when he said "when you are dealing with whole and half notes, dead spots are jsut an inconvenience!"

Another guy I know does a TON of studio work and gets called because of his basses (and his playing of coorse) BUT he is always hearing about the tone he brings to the session. Once again Sadowsky. Those basses have made him FAR more than they cost him. It is much like a mechanic who spends $10k on the best tools. It is his trade and he will make more than that back in business and will buy fewer replacements over time.

If you don't have the money or don't think a bass should cost that much, that is fine. Buy something else that YOU feel comfortable with. It took me a year and a half to finally bite the bullet and I own three and have had four.

I'd rather PAY for the best then get a vastly inferior bass for free or for 20% - 30% below dealer cost!
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Its only worth the price if you play one and like it. I play them exclusively. They are worth it to me. You couldnt give me another brand of bass. I dont say this to be argumentative but the fact is I wouldnt use it. Doesnt matter how inexpensive the bass might be. If I found a bass I like as much and it was 1/3rd the price, I'd buy three. LOL. I'm not a fool, just a happy Sadowsky owner.

Many guys on this board feel exactly like I do about their Fodera's, MTD's, Lakland's, Fender's, etc. Ask them if you think their brand of bass is worth the money. I might see the shoes you are wearing and say "i'd never pay $150 for those"

Get it? LOL Different strokes for different folks.

Take a minute and check out the guys who play Sadowsky. Their is quite a list of them on his site. Some pretty formidable players. Good luck in your search

16. smash!

Just like the perfect partner. Wife a GF. You don't love them for their name....nor price :D

If the bass's sound gets you, you can't eat nor sleep until you've bought it.

You'll know. If you don't you have not been there.......
  17. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i paid a lot for mine as a student on a limited income

i didn't think about the money

and now i have the bass, i really like it and i would spend that money again.
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well, as long as noone else is getting, making and selling the sadowsky tone a sadowsky will cost as much as roger wants to.

IMO a sadowsky is worth every penny, but i wouldnt buy one at its european price specially when im being charged for taxes that try to protect a buisness that noone in europe is able to do the same way sadowsky does.
  19. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    :D The question should be how much do you like "Fender style basses" or the "Fender vibe"? If that's your thing, then Sadowsky's are worth checking out. From vintage to modern I think Sadowsky's are one of the most versatile basses around. For "Fender style basses" they are one of the best built, if that's what your looking for! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.