safest strap locks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flury, May 30, 2004.

1. flury

May 21, 2004
    Who makes the best strap lock system?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like Schaller strap locks. Basically schaller and dunlop are the main brands.
  3. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    If you need a strap as well, planet waves makes some with straplocks built onto the ends of the strap. I was skeptical at first, but I've been using one of those for about 3 years now with no problems. Basically they work like heavy-duty plastic handcuffs that go around the strap buttons.
  4. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I have one of the planet with straps with the locks on it and i would advise against them. I was a band practice and the release was presses against me and the lock came undone and my bass had a meeting with the concrete floor and ended up with a cracked neck.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of my straps has those. The strap itself isnt cushioned so i dont usually use it, but the straplock cuffs work well.
  6. Yeah i have a planet waves strap locking strap , its great and very comfortable, but im not to keen on the tribal design.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    gregory bruce campbell uses deck screws and fender washers...that strap ain't goin' NOWHERE
  8. I have been giving that a tought.

Bolting on a strap.
  9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that's what billy sheehan does... so obviously bolting the strap to your axe will make you as good as him ;)
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    peter steele bolts his strap on, too...with eye bolts...and his strap is a chain...
  11. Forget these strap locks hehe..!!!!

All you need is two things

1. a comfortable strap with a tight fitting around the strap holders..

2. The Red Rubber rings from a Grolsch Flip Top Beer Bottle..places over the end

Bingo instant strap locks

I have never had a strap fail on me yet with this..!!! :)...

tho it do mean u have to drink beer..

darn..wot a pitty

12. Chroma

Mar 1, 2004
    I've been replacing the strap buttons on the body with screwed in eyelets and putting "spring links" on my straps. They just clip over the eyelets and in 7+ years of use I have never had a single problem from any instrument using them.
  13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    this is my strap lock system. Never had a strap come off yet, but it also takes a bit of experience to put one on, :p
  14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    When I bought my first "real bass" (Washburn xb400 - I loved that bass) it almost hit the floor the first time I gigged with it. So I immediately went to the music store and bought some Schallers. They worked great, but they made an annoying creaking sound when I would move around, like a barn in a windstorm. So after about a year of that, I went to dunlops. I think both work great at holding a strap in place. The Dunlops are a bit easier to unlock (when you want to remove the strap.) and don't make the creaking noises.
    I've never had any issues with either coming unlocked accidentally. I recommend the Dunlops.
  15. The Dunlops are great...I love them.
  16. speaking from experience: i have dunlops and they've never failed me. i've seen one show where the bassist's locks failed him, and they were schallers.

but i'm sure someone else has had exactly the opposite experience.
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    dual design dunlops, for those rare occasions you somehow forget your strap and need to use a normal one on your bass! (its happened to me with regular dunlops)
  18. Dual Design Dunlops (but Schallers are alright as well).
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Fieldy has the best strap lock system EVER: duct tape.