Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saltfish tank

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I know there is some people here who own fish thank.
    I was wondering who's into saltfish?
    We had about 12 thanks of regular fish, cichlids, beta, guppy, etc...
    Then we add a little 10g of salt fish, just to had something different, we liked it a lot. Sold all the thanks and now we only have have saltfish here.
    Not much right now, we just bought a new 27g Saturday.

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've kept untold amounts and varieties of saltwater fish over the years. Everything from leopard sharks to reefs full of coral and live rock.

Some things are very easy to keep and some are very difficult. What are you looking at as far as fish? A community tank, reef tank, predator tank, ....?

3. IMO, once you go saltwater there's almost no going back. The only thing that I'd really consider a freshwater tank for would be to get an arowana, but then I'd probably be looking at 100 gallons at a minimum and preferably 200-300 for just one of them.

Saltwater's are very good in that if you set them up properly, they require very little mainenance compared with a freshwater tank. The problem is that setting them up properly requires a lot of knowledge about the system.

I'm going to have to have a minimum of two saltwater tanks. My fiance loves the small bright and friendly fish, so I'd like to set up a nice community tank with some nice anemones and invertebrates as well. I want a predator tank, so I'm leaning towards lionfish, puffers, triggers and moray eels.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My goodness, you sound exactly like me :)

The setup is critual. Get that part right, and the tank practically looks after itself. I guess the same goes for all types of tanks.

I set up a community tank with an ex girlfriend several years ago. Clown fish (like Nemo), gobys, coral Beauties, surgeons (like Dory), tangs, all getting alond beautifully with some real coral. It was awsome. But I kept fighting the urge to dump my cichlids ang get a saltwater predator tank instead. I'll do it one day. The Cichlids are keeping me happy for now.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've had several salt tanks in the past. One with predators
    (Lionfish, panther grouper, etc), one smaller one with mainly damsels, and a semi reef (had anemones, and soft corals, but didn't venture into hard corals). They are a lot of fun, and extremely beautiful.