Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sam Rivers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright alright, he is the bassplayer from Limp Bizkit...for those who don't like LB, I don't want this to become a LB bashing thread whatsoever! If you don't like the band, fine by me, (I'm not a big fan either) but I'd like to discuss the bassplayer and not the band.

I have to say I dig his tone on Significant Other, what gear does he use? Some kind of Custom Ibanez? Let me know..

2. Sam Rivers uses mostly custombuilt Warwick Streamer Stage 1, 5-string basses. (I'm a big Warwick nerd, so I know who use them, and don't use them).

And his sound is good (so is the most mainstream bands, great producers, engineers etc.), but you really can't fail with a Warwick in your hands.

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I believe Sam Rivers is using the new Warwick Chrome Tone .

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Limp Bizkit is one of the worst...

oh, this isn't a LB bashfest: OK.

Good Bassplayer, Good tone, He should play in a band that doesn't su... he should play in a band that isn't Lim..., He... is.... bass... ?

5. i like sam rivers, i give him credit for not always sticking to root notes, like most music now, songs like nookie, and my way are good imo. i actually really liked LB until Wes left. I think wes, sam, and john were the real creative forces in the band.
    i am sad that wes is gone...i thought he worked well with sam.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

Funny you should mention Wes. He's back! C'mon, who didn't see this coming? Big dumb Face sucked, as did LB, so he HAD to come back. Now, if only we could get Stu back with Jami.....

jmattbassplaya and Geetard like this.
  7. Sam Rivers does indeed use a crhome tone warwick streamer with LED lights in the neck. He is not worthy of such a fine bass, not worthy I say!(me no like LB)

8. are you kidding? i didn't hear anything about it...

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

No, it's true. They haven't announced a reunion, but they are in the studio writing new songs.

10. its about time!

11. Yep Sam Rivers isnt't that bad plus i like his stage presence . The first LP albums weren't that bad. The main reason why most people don't like LP is Fred Durst....and they're right :D
    Wes is coming back...

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Wes Borland is in fact the creator of the catchy bass line to "re-arranged" from SO, the "nookie" guitar line was from a sorth of self made piccolo-like instrument tuned very low, dunno details tough :meh:

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I read somewhere about Les Claypool that he did some sessions with LB, and he is also mentioned in a song off of SO*, but what connection does he have with them? I know they did the Family Values tour together, but what else?

*Something similar to "Les Claypool for acting like a fool"

14. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Les Claypool showed up credited for back vocals on one song of that album I believe. he also made a hidden track where he is just doing this weird rant. (acting like a fool)

15. I'm pretty sure that for $3 Bill and SO that he used an Ibanez...I'll check later, though.

Leigh

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    He has great feel and some obvious intuition (although I do believe that Wes scribed a lot of LB's bass lines) - plus he uses SWR :D

I'm not a Bizkit fan at all, but I can dig a genuine bassist when I hear him without being put off his playing because of the kookysh*t outfit he's in.

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm a big fan of Sam, Wes, and John Otto. It's a shame that three good musicians got swept up in.... I'll just call it less-than-appealing music. His bass playing definitely adds a dimension to their music (or used to, back when I listened to them) that Fred and DJ Lethal can't begin to reach.

18. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    How on earth can you say something like that; everyone knows Fred Durst is the real creative force of LB.
    [​IMG]

19. Checked out the 'thank you' notes off of SO and Sam thanks Ibanez and not Warwick. I also read that he used a custom BTB - not to mention that it really does sound like an Ibanez bass.

Leigh