1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sandberg basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavetheDude, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Hi guys,

so, I was wondering what you think of above mentioned basses. I plan on getting a used JM/TM 5, custom shop (it's a jazz bass body with Music-man style humbucker and precision bass pickup).

I have never really played any Fenders, but for some reason I prefer the Sandberg over a Fender. That is probably because I recently used a Sandberg 5-string for recordings, and that was such an awesome bass that I really do want to get one myself.

Any opinions?

Regards,
    David

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love the looks of the Sandbergs and would love to try one. I've never seen one in person though. Might considering ordering one if/when I have the funds.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've also never seen one in person and I don't know about the particular model you mention, but this is one of the best bass tones I've ever heard:

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    boy can play! I can figure out his left hand, but whole passages, I can't figure out what's hitting what with his right!

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's this insane slap/pop/strum/3 finger flamenco/regular fingerstyle combo. Boy can indeed play. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, for months to play that.

SirMjac28 and bholder like this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, that whole northeastern european / slavic / flamenco cross thing is wild!

7. Lots of very detailed midrange definition. Love Sandberg basses

8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I like the design of the model that has the j/mm set up. I've discovered that if you take a Lakland 44-02 and put Delano pickups in it, you get pretty much the same thing.

9. bassyogi

bassyogi

Jul 23, 2012
    Sardis Ohio
    The Glockenklang pre died on my Sandberg TT5. Dropped an Audere 4 band in(has the big pole Delano's in it) and the thing is a beast! FWIW, I have two Fender ADJ5('04 & '12)and an MIA Std jazz 5...I prefer the Sandberg.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've tried a few briefly, and the sub for our last gig plays one (TM i think) with jazz plus humbucker pickups. Very solid basses, great quality. If I were to buy another J or P it would be a Sandberg, I've used their online configuration web pages several times to build my bass. :)

11. I've played a few, one especially that I'm still kicking myself for not getting. It felt amazing, sounded great. You won't get a proper Stingray sound out of them imo but what they do do they do really well.

DieselKTM likes this.
  12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Sounds like my '76 maple/maple/BAII P bass. Maybe it's the maple fingerboard that makes the notes ring out like that. Try a mid to late '70's maple P. They're not really overpriced (compared to '60's models, anyway) and if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything. Just check it out thoroughly before you buy, that era wasn't exactly stellar as far as QC goes.

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Indeed quite serious chops. :)

14. I played a California model at Cream City in Brookfield, WI. It was a relic model, which I'm not really after, but it was a great bass. I left with a good impression of their products.

15. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    You might not find many people willing to share their opinion here on TalkBass. ;)

TerriblePeril and bholder like this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    He certainly takes First, Gold Medal in the Bass Face Race!
    Edit: Ah: just got to that bit at the end. :thumbsup:

17. +1 on the not getting a stingray 100%

i have a PM5 (bought before they changed), great bass.
    one of the best i have ever played.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't think he intentionally knocked the bass over but it hurt my heart nonetheless. Trulijo can play, obviously. But I think the guy in the video I posted blows him away. Intermixed in that whole multistyle groove is the funk. Always the funk.

bholder likes this.
  19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, I was surprised he got that nice, round note definition out of a P config. I associate that kind of tone more with JJ basses.

IIRC, Marlowe DK's used Sandbergs in many of his videos. Nice tone in those, also.

20. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    I had a JJ5 for a while with Delano singles and a Glock pre. The tone was amazing but it was really heavy at around 5kg. They do have a light weight series now that play beautifully.....