Sandberg California advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sagarmichael, Mar 6, 2018.

1. sagarmichael

sagarmichael

Mar 6, 2018
    HI All,

I am now the proud owner of a Sandberg California VM4.
    • It is a very old version and I cannot find a serial number. Is this normal?
    • Not sure if anyone will know but I took off the pickguard and it has a cutout for a neck pickup thats not used, Is that normal?
    The body has been resprayed with possibly the worse respray job ever so I am getting it redone soon and would like to know if the 4 dots on the body (sandberg logo) is a decal or painted on. I am trying to find where I can get one.

I has a fender precision scratchplate on too and the electronics have been altered to use 3 pots now (one is
    double stack for the bass and treble controls).

I am asking for peoples opinions here. would you restore it to have a sandberg scratchplate (would have to be the new style as I cannot find the old ones for sale anymore) and restore the electronics to be the 4 pots again costing around £200 or leave it as it is?

Thank you.
    Michael.

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Michael :) Welcome to TB

The serial number of your Sandberg should be on the back of the headstock.
    When there is none, it's probably a replacement neck.

The :: logo on the body is an inlay!!!! (at least on my basses) I never saw a painted one!)

If you want more info about your bass, maybe post on:

Club Sandberg (part 2)

and checkout

Serial Numbers and Specs

greetings

Wise(b)ass

P.S.: No pics no ::!!!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. A routing for a third pickup? Definetely not normal! A VM4 has a MusicMan like bridge-pickup and a Precision like neck pickup.

4. sagarmichael

sagarmichael

Mar 6, 2018
    Just thought I would give an update on this.

I have replaced the pickups to be Haussel pickups. They are amazing. Changed eq to be glockenlang. I finally found the serial number 7758 but I’ve still not been able to date it yet.

I hope you all like what I’ve done.

Attached Files:

BassmanM and GlassToMouth like this.
  5. HollowBody

HollowBody

Mar 3, 2003
    Hello sugarmichael. Nice bass. Where did you order the Haussel pickups and Glockenlang preamp from. What kind of sound are you getting out of them? Vintage or modern? What pickups are in the picture you posted? Thanks.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021