1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sansamp bass driver. Do i need an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by priggs, Apr 5, 2006.

1. priggs

priggs

Mar 2, 2005
    I've just recently tested out a sansamp bass driver di box and i love the sound. I'll be getting one in the next few weeks but am wondering what to do about an amp head.
    I've read a lot of reviews for the sansamp and many people say they bi-pass the pre-amp on there head using the effects return. I need a new amp head and need to know if it is worth just getting a power amp and a quad instead.

Also need to know what differences there are, (if any), between the sansamp and the new programmable one.
    thanks

2. 1. The sansamp is a pre-amp.
    2. Pre-amp + power amp = head.
    3. In your current situation, you do have the pre-amp but not the poweramp.
    4. You can plug into the 'effects return' input to bypass the pre-amp from (almost) any head.

So in the end; you need either an head or a power amp. The power-amp will be the option where you have (most of the time) a lot of watt's, so it goes louder. What you need to find out is if you really like the tone of a Sansamp. So then you can decide if you really want it as a stand alone device.

The differences between a the older sansamp and the new programmable one? The newer one has three programmable channels and a higher output so it can drive a poweramp. You can make the older one drive a poweramp, but you have to modify it a bit.

3. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I don't understand that part. What modifications are you talking about? I used a bass driver as preamp and that worked perfectly without any modification.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The OLDER model BDDI's needed an internal mod to drive a power amp to full power, but the later versions included an extra switch on the top for that purpose. If the "line" switch is on the top of a "regular", non-programmable BDDI, you do NOT need the mod to drive a power amp to full power.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have tried to use a BDDI with a power amp (Focus SA) into a cab. It didn't "do it" for me. I

I think the BDDI is a great effect pedal and will serve as a good preamp/DI in an emergency.

I went back to an Eden WT-550 head. Greta clean tone. If I want a little more grit, I'll use the BDDI.

Many people like the BDDI as a preamp. It's up to your ears.

To answer your question, you need an amp, but a head.

6. priggs

priggs

Mar 2, 2005
    cheers all. thanks for the help. i was thinking it might be a good idea to have a head even just as a backup. looking at getting a GK 1001RB2. its got enough power for me.

i also found out that the programmable sansamp doesn't have a 'parallel' output. i was wanting to send a clean signal to the PA and an affected signal to my amp in a gig situation.
    Does anyone use this setup? is it worth it?

7. joe skinner

joe skinner

Mar 17, 2006
    No, get a nice power amp. Since you like the Sansamp (which is what counts) the Sansamp allows you to back off the "drive" section to get the level of transparency you need. You don't need to send two signals. People here on TB convinced me of the pre-amp + power amp deal, and I will never go back as long as I am playing out. We played a gig last week at a beach pavillion. After the show we let some local kids sit in. The sound guys took the instruments out of the board. I started walking away from the stage and kept walking, and the farther I walked, the better that thing sounded. I went clear out to the beach two blocks away and that thing was thundering.