1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SansAmp BDDI - Can it run on phantom power

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jaywa, May 12, 2011.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have the factory provided AC cord for my SansAmp but the unit seems to be noisier running that way than with a 9V battery.

Am wondering if phantom power from the board could be used to eliminate that problem as well as the PITA factor of carrying around the power cord.

Thanks in advance.

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Found out it can. Will try using phantom power on an upcoming gig.

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    How are you using the pedal and how is it set? For the most part it should be just as quiet with our power supply vs the battery. Phantom power is a tough call as there is no way to predict how good the phantom power source will be. It will vary from unit to unit.

When you say noise, what type of noise? Hiss, hum or something else? Is your bass active or passive? Hum cancelling? If you are running the gain very high on the pedal you will increase any noise that your bass has. Does the noise go away when you turn the volume control on your bass down?

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Previously I was running the device essentially as a pre-amp... in-line between my (active) bass and my amp. But going forward my plan is to plug the BDDI direct into the board via XLR and monitor via IEMs.

The usual noise issue is a hum which goes away some (but not totally) by flicking the Phantom Ground Connect switch. Level is usually set to send the same signal strength (or just a tad boosted) when the device is engaged vs. disengaged. Bass and Treble controls both at about 10 o'clock and Drive at about noon.

First time running the BDDI direct to board with phantom power will probably be tomorrow night... I'll post after that as to how it worked.

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Nice option!

The phantom power 'option' is a point to consider-when shopping for lower priced DI boxes. Some have it/some don't...

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The hum sounds like a ground issue. Does the noise go away completely when your bass guitar volume is off? Also, is your instrument cable close to the DC power supply? This will cause hum as well.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I used an instrument cable then, but I'm wireless now... and actually I haven't used my BDDI since I went wireless... so several pieces of the equation have changed since I last encountered the issue with the power supply.

I'd still like to use phantom power if possible (one less outlet), but I'll try it this weekend and see how it goes.

8. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I use phantom power on mine all the time. It works great.