1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SansAmp BDDI & Markbass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Just purchased a SansAmp BDDI and I am wondering whether or not it is possible to run it through only the power amp of a Markbass head....thinking F1 or LMK II or III. Anyone out there tried this?

2. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Sure, just run in to the fx return, or the power amp in (if it has one). I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it sounds decent.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    As I recall, the Markbass effects loops are in series, not parallel, so the effects return as an input would still pass through the preamp... Again, this is just my recollection and I could be completely wrong on both of those statements.

4. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. If I am following the concept correctly it seems that it would only work with models that have the pre/post EQ button on the rear of the amp. This would mean it would work with the LMK III and F500 but not the LMK II or F1. Can anyone confirm that I am following this correctly?

Pardon my ignorance I am new to the use of pedals....learning though.

5. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    the sans has a line and instrument level switch on the xlr and the 1/4" outputs. set it to inst on the 1/4 jack and you can run it into front of bass amp (pre amp) and to mixer via xlr. Thats why it has the switch. start with the level at 12 on the sans and adjust from there. then you are feeding the effected signal to the amp and the mixer. You can send line level to mixer if the mixer has a pad switch to cut it back if needed. IF no pad switch on mixer input the instr level is prob better as pre amp on mixer can be adjusted.

6. I think the point is that he wants to bypass the markbass pre and only run the BDDI tone through the power section of the amp... so putting it on inst lvl into the markbass pre is still gonna influence the tone (although the markbass set completely flat is pretty neutral imo anyways)

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I tried that with an alembic F-2b
    Still could use the preamp of the Mark Bass
    So now just run the Sansamp into the front of the head and it sounds wonderful

8. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks again for the input. After reading a bit more I guess I was wrong about the pre/post button as that sounds as if it is for the XLR out. I also found that the Eden WT405 has a preamp/power amp split in the back which I think may work to bypass the EQ and use the only the power amp to run the SansAmp.

9. any amp with a parallel fx loop should work otherwise you could always look at a dedicated poweramp

10. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    It works, even with LMII. Keep in mind though, that for example LMII has the EQ section after the FX loop so all the knobs are active. I have LMII at one rehersal space, but I prefer to play into the preamp (setting the level on BD to instrument of course) so I see when I feed too hot signal to an amp that's not mine :) I just keep the EQ flat (and VPF and VLE at zero).

11. Bajo_63

Bajo_63

Nov 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    I agree with Uhdinator, Sten and Murphy. I just bought the Sans Amp Programable BDDI and I did try the efects loop of my LMII combo. I don't know if it's something I did wrong but I got a better sound going directly to the front of the head (everything flat on EQ and 0 on the filters). I'm new to bass drivers so I have a lot to learn. All I can say now is WOW! I dig it man!