1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp BDDI vs Aguilar Tone Hammer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Steve Zapp, Sep 11, 2008.

1. BDDI

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Tone Hammer

84 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. Steve Zapp

Steve Zapp

Sep 10, 2008
    Any opinions, to me they seem to heavily rival each other.

Who for what?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, as you should be aware, the Tone Hammers have only just this week started trickling into the market. So there are only a very few people who have actually used one, and of them nearly all will be in the honeymoon phase, having only owned their Tone Hammer for a couple of days. This makes comparisons difficult and unreliable.

3. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I'm not gonna vote as I haven't owned or tried either but I'll be keeping a close eye on the results. Don't take my word for it but from what I've gathered from the thread in amps it does Sansamp better than Sansamp for a cheaper price...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, the SansAmp Para Driver DI is closer in functionality to the Tone Hammer because it has a sweepable mid. They're both excellent processors, yielding a wide variation in tone and texture. I'd go with the Aggie, though, if only because it's cheaper, yet still top quality (so far).

5. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    cheap is good ;p

6. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    This thread really isn't helping my GAS....and I've been so good about not buying pedals lately. :crying:

Does anyone have a clip of the drive channel of it?

7. frenchtoast

frenchtoast

May 6, 2008
    Singapore
    I love my SansBDI for how the presence knob plays a part. I noticed the TH doesnt have presence on it. I just got the green light to order one from bestbassgear but im having doubts and was hoping for a comparison as well.

8. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Isn't presence a mids rolloff? The TH just has a mids knob.

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I hated my SABDDI. It just destroyed my tone. I have a tone hammer on the way, but I won't be using its drive function at all... my amp does that to my needs!

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I believe there is a Tone Hammer in my future, but can't comment on this comparison today...

11. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I got one yesterday and while it is a "honeymoon phase" as was mentioned above I can tell you that for my taste it kicked the crap out of the BDDI. I used my SansAmp for almost a year and while I did like some of the tones it wasn't flexible enough for my diversity. I record my own stuff at home and it can be anywhere between straight groove stuff to pretty heavy metalish.

I'm planning to put together a youtuber of some of the tones this thing gives. If/when I do I'll post back. It's hard to put it into words but I'm excited to get back home so I can use it some more. Never felt quite that way about the BDDI.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I usually try to stay away from flavor's of the month, but in this case the ToneHammer seems like an excellent product. I've yet to find anything I haven't liked in any of my Aguilar PreAmps.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    subscribed...

btw, is it possible to leave the AGS on all the time, so that when you do stomp the pedal on, it automatically goes to overdriven mode?

14. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    :eyebrow: Where's that youtube vid? I wanna see it!! :)

15. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A little too early, but I suspect the TH will do good because of the variable mid.

16. frenchtoast

frenchtoast

May 6, 2008
    Singapore
    Its more like a higher freq to pick up the stuff you dont really get a chance to hear. Like a little shimmer and "picky-sounding" sound when you play. I dont know, hard to describe the sound it gives but doesnt effect mids at all. Although at times i wished my BDDI had a mid control on it. (i know theres the para but oh well) im hoping to hear a good demo or watch a video of the TH soon. In terms of looks, the TH kills the BDDI imo :D

17. frenchtoast

frenchtoast

May 6, 2008
    Singapore
    Hang on, does the TH run on 18v or 9v? As well, is the power input the boss styled ones and is there any way to power it with a daisy chain/1spot of that sort?

18. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Hi Joker,
    Thought I'd answer your question first as you have helped me out with amps a lot in the past!;)

Just picked my Tonehammer up today and yes it can go straight to overdrive. Just leave the 'AGS' (right switch) on then use the 'Engage' (left button) as your on/off switch.

Concerning this thread as a whole, my initial thoughts are that the Sansamp would be considered more of an Amp simulator doing different forms of amp sounds and overdrive, while the Tonehammer is more of an AG500SC with a D.I. and E.Q.'able overdrive in a pedal. So, while similar in principle, aren't actually for 100% the same purpose.

B.T.W. The Tonehammer Rocks!:hyper:

19. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Just to help a little before I go and test the Tonehammer some more. Most of these answers are all on the Aguilar website!:bag:

But.......it's 18v, has an 'optional power supply and a Boss style plug.:)

20. frenchtoast

frenchtoast

May 6, 2008
    Singapore
    Thanks buddy :D