1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp BDDI vs. Mic Tone

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Deunoro Jomo, May 21, 2011.

1. Deunoro Jomo

Deunoro Jomo

Mar 23, 2007
    I played a gig at a nice club last night, and I really liked the mix I was hearing onstage. My rig is a hotrodded Jazz into a mid-boosted Carvin into a 15" Peavey speaker. I run my signal through a Sansamp BDDI, which gives a nice mid-scooped sound that complements my mid-boosted amp tone. Last night I had the sound guy run a DI from the BDDI, in lieu of micing my cab. However, listening to a FOH board recording, the sound was comparatively dead when I engaged the BDDI distortion as compared to how it sounded on stage. Should I just run a cab mic as well, or is there a more elegant way to get some midrange to my FOH signal?

2. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Turn down the Bass and Treble on the BDDI. That pedal is very scooped with the controls set flat. The instructions tell you to do this in order to effectively increase the mids.

I suggest you run your BDDI into a mixer and listen through stereo speakers, studio monitors or head phones. Adjust the eq for a pleasing sound, if possible play along with some recorded music to make sure it sounds good in the mix. This is the sound that you will send to the house.

Once you get the sound that you like, don't touch the eq on the pedal. Now hook it up to your bass amp and adjust the amp EQ, on stage with your band playing to get the sound that you like on stage. You might have to make a few minor tweaks after listening to your recordings.

In a nut shell you will probably be adjusting the BDDI for more mids for the House and taking them out with your Carvin amp for your stage sound.