1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rimtism123, Mar 25, 2009.

1. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Hello, I'm new to forums but this is probably a frequently asked question so I won't get offended if someone gives me a link to the proper thread.
    But I'm stuck between choosing the Sansamp VT Bass and Sansamp Bassdriver DI.
    Out of everyone I've asked its been 50/50.
    I'm just trying to create more of an Ampeg type tube tone/overdrive.

Any suggestions on which to pick?

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Use the search function.

3. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I assume from your question that you intend to use this device to introduce overdrive to your current rig. Assuming this is the primary/only function you're looking for this pedal to provide I would suggest going with the VT Bass. It will provide you with far more control over the tone (the BDDI offers no midrange control while the VT Bass allows you to shape and boost or cut midrange).

The BDDI, on the other hand, does offer a balanced line out and functions as a proper DI and will operate on phantom power. You can send the VT Bass to a console but only as an unbalanced 1/4" and will not operate on phantom power. If this is a significant concern for you the BDDI may be a better solution. If you already own a dedicated DI box then, again, I'd suggest the VT Bass as you can use it in conjunction with the DI box for a balanced signal to a console.

4. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    well i want to use it for a little over drive but mostly for the sake of tone shaping.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    VT Bass all the way. If you want Ampeg sound, it's the way to go. I've loved every minute of playing mine.

THIS
    thread will tell you everything you want to know about it.

6. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Your response was probably made in all sincerity but it made me laugh just the same. There's no additional information from your opening post there particularly the info that Deaj was digging for.

anyway, it struck my funny bone.
    IMHO:
    If you play through a bass amp and plan to continue using the bass amp, get the VT bass.

If you play using a DI box to the P.A. and you want to add tone shaping to the DI line, get the VT Bass.

If you plan to play DI but do NOT currently have a DI, then either can work but the Sansamp Bass driver does a better job at being a DI. It adds the capability of tone shaping. It can do a fairly respectable job at emulating an Ampeg.
    The VT Bass does the Ampeg emulation better, but does not function as a DI as well as the Bass driver.

7. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    The VT Bass will definitely provide more flexibility in tone shaping. The overdrive characteristics are likely similar between the BDDI and VT Bass (though I've not compared them side-by-side). I'm using the VT Bass for warm, verge of breakup SVT and B15N tones and I'm overwhelmingly pleased with the results!

8. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks for your help you guys..I'm def going for the VT bass

9. i've owned both and loved the sound from both - but the VT has far more tonal options - just for me personally, i could only find one tone with the BDDI that i loved, with the VTbass im still searching for ones i dont!

im thinking about getting a BDDI just for an tubey overdrive with DI capabilities to use after my VTbass (which is my preamp/toneshaper)

both are great pedals IMO, but the VTbass has more to offer tonally.