1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Santa Monica, CA: Stolen Wals Alert!!!!

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by kulit17, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Just saw the posted at the Wal Club Owner page in Facebook and feel gutted for the victim. As a fellow Wal collector this is one of my worst nightmares. Spread the word and if anyone sees a Wal suspiciously for sale, please post!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Wow, that's awful. I hope he gets them back somehow...

This reminds me to take photos of my gear, including the serial numbers & receipts (bills of sale).
    I just paid my insurance earlier today.
  3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Brutal. I'm in market for a Wal in the area, I'll cross reference if any pop up.
  4. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    This makes me so sick to my stomach. What happens if they make it into a pawn shop and someone else buys them?
  5. Was thinking the same thing about the pawn shops.

The Wal cummunity is HUGE ....and whom ever did this is going to have a huge P.I.T.A selling them. Pawnshops is all they have!

That's a shame...I hope he gets them back.
  6. Joe Climan

Joe Climan

Jan 10, 2018
    Hi everyone, Joe here, sad victim of this theft. Please find attached some images of the guitars that were stolen. This does not cover everything, but is a good chunk of them. I'm sure you all know how rare it is for Wals to come up for sale, so I'm asking that you report ANY new Wals you see pop up to me. There is a good chance that new inventory for the foreseeable future could come from the stolen lot.

1. 1977 JG w/ hand-tooled flower leather pickguard - JG1114
    2. Tangerine Orange Mk2 - #3423
    3. Wenge wood Fretless Mk1 - PB1776

My phone number is 310-467-1999. Please feel free to reach out day or night any time. I am desperate to get these back home. Thank you so much in advance and hope 2018 treats you better than it's treating me currently.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    pickles likes this.
  7. Joe Climan

Joe Climan

Jan 10, 2018
    I had the same thought and immediately started calling pawn shops while waiting for the police. Learned a lot of useful things. All pawn shops in California are required by law to photograph, fingerprint, and ID anyone that comes in to sell something. Each item is categorized and described. A list of new inventory is forwarded to the LAPD every single day from every pawn shop in the county. With a police report filed describing the items stolen, they will check it against these lists, and any new items matching their description will be flagged by the shops. It would make more sense to take them to an independent music store or try to sell them on craigslist or something.
    Toolmybass likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I hope you find them. Does the storage space have cameras?
  9. GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    I live in California and I'm always checking out classifieds. I love wal basses so if I see something that yours I'll give you a holler. I live about 2 hours from you actually.
  10. GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    Is your black mk1 a lefty?
  11. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

if you look at the headstock pictures the "Wal" logo is mirror'd (i remember there was a time when apple laptop did this by default for whatever reason) - so quite possibly when the pic was taken, the body was mirror'd as well.

hope these thieves are sloppy and get themselves caught!!!
  12. Are these laws the same in all the surrounding...err abutting States to California ?
  13. My dear god I feel horrible for you. I hope you catch the pukes who did this. Scum like that deserves multiple grand theft charges. I wish you the best in recovering your basses
  14. Joe Climan

Joe Climan

Jan 10, 2018
    ATTN: NEW SERIAL NUMBER LOCATED. The Fretless Wenge 4 string Mk1 (with the light stripe in the middle of the face) is SERIAL #PB1776

Thank you all so much for your support and any future help in spotting these. I hope this extra information helps.

Only on the first floor, nowhere on the storage floors. Public Storage apparently believes it is somehow "less secure" to have cameras where people's things are....... Only less secure if you're doing something sketchy in your locker.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. We've had several major thefts from California storage units over the years here. I should open a 24-7 guarded store unit out there.

Good luck! I hate a thief.
  16. Joe Climan

Joe Climan

Jan 10, 2018
    Thank you so much. I would love to stay on top of all of the music shops up in Ventura County as well but simply don't have the time to be able to. I've called about 30-40 shops here in the LA area and that isn't even all of them yet. It's a huge job. Please save my number in your phone and feel free to call me any time if you see something up north!
  17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There are very few shops up here.
  18. ????
  19. Joe Climan

Joe Climan

Jan 10, 2018
    It looks like it, yes. I just need a detective to get assigned to the case so I can ask if they're alerting the agencies in other counties. They all have long hold periods for any transaction and require fingerprint/photo ID for sales as far as I can tell.
  20. Good to hear....will make it even harder for them to unload.