Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sara Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 22, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Anyone into the B-52's? How about "Gang of Four"?

Sara Lee is a pretty brilliant bass player, IMO. Not very flashy, but incredibly solid. She gets the job done, quite nicely in fact. She's a pleasure to listen to.

2. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Check out her work with the Indigo Girls, too. Fantastic playing. Their current bassist, Claire Kenney is equally wonderful to listen to.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw the Gang of Four in the 80s, at Brighton University when she was playing with them. I remember thinking how much better her bass lines sounded, than the ones on the original albums !! :)

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, she was quite an interesting character too, on stage, back then. She was playing one of those dinky Steinbergers when I saw her with Gang of Four, in NYC, in '83 or so.

Some of her stuff on the "bootleg" B-52's mixes, is definitely worth checking out. You can find them on any of the popular download sites. There are mixes of "Roam", and so on, that are very different from the originals. Some excellent stuff!

5. nobody does it like sara lee

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really admire her playing too :bassist: Her playing on Ani Difranco's ' Living in a Clip' is note perfect for the songs. I also enjoyed her solo album she put out on Ani's lable. Nice groove, nice tone & and great playing!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and she doesn't look so bad in a bath tub, either!

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    She's great. Loved her GOF stuff, and B52's stuff also. 'Love Shack' is a great bass line, sounds very simple but it's hard to get it sounding right.

9. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    How about The League Of Gentlemen, with Robert Fripp and Barry Adamson, featuring Sara Lee's great sparse angular lines? CHECK IT OUT!!!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw this group as well - at Sussex University - in the 80s!!
    This thread is like pure nostalgia for me! ;)

So I can't remember much about the music, but at the time Robert Fripp was a real hero to me - I had loads of King Crimson albums and loved his playing with Bowie etc.

So - this was a funny venue and there was no way onto the stage except through the audience and Robert Fripp walked right past me with his guitar strapped on and I was somehow disappointed as he was this really short, small guy who I was looking down on!

Strange how we expect our heroes to be larger than life!!

11. you mean Barry Andrews (ex-keyboard player with XTC)- i wondered what Barry Adamson would be doing if Sara Lee was playing bass.
    Gang of 4 have reformed with Dave Allen on bass.

12. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Yep. Half asleep, I mixed Barrys. Apparently Adamson was in my mind somewhere, lurking, waiting to emerge in whatever form he could...