Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

saw Les Claypool last night.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jherrera, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    I went to the riviera theatre last night to see Les Claypool for the first time. He was outstanding. He was playing in Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains and they did an outstanding job, they were so together and so very strange. The only problem was the band that opened for them was a novelty act that got old and went on for far too long. It was bass and drums and an asian woman who rapped and played the sitar or organ or mini piano. Funny at first but after awhile the pitch of her voice made my ears bleed not to mentiopn the fact that the bassist was going on before les claypool. The show was very strange. Les wore masks, first the common pinnochio mask, then an elvis mask (and he did impressions) then a monkey mask while he played the whamola which he ended up laying on the floor of the stage and then beating while flailing his arms like a monkey. And then some sort of space man mask. Bucket head came on stage for awhile with a Michael Jackson mask and danced for the audience, and later he played with nunchucks (sp?). There was no setbreak, the sitar woman came on stage iwth them for awhile which was pretty cool. Brain did an amazing drum solo halfway through the show, just him onstage. And bernie was... well bernie. They all played incredibly and it was an experience.

2. in honor of responding....phat dude

3. theres a new primus dvd coming out november sumtime. Its a 2 1/2 hour show over three discs. check out their site for a setlist. www.primussucks.com
    Laters.

4. My life will not be complete until i see Les play live.

I envy you and every waking moment you spent in the audience watching him.

:bag:

5. ive seen the frogs play twice. priumse last two tours. and iam going to see him again this tour..........an one got me beat.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I wonder if that's the monkey mask he got at the Pittsburgh Show I saw him at. Someone in the audience threw a monkey mask on stage during my name is Mud. He put it on during the little break and said, "WHERE YOU GOIN' MONKEY BOY."

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    it seems like primus/claypool never play within 3 hours of me :(

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The Primus show I saw wasn't that cool. (Hallucino-genetics.)

I mean, it was damn cool and they played for 4 hours, but he didn't wear any masks or costumes. Except for when he did the Whamola, he was dressed as a father time type figure.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, you were disappointed by lack of costumes?

MM... did you see the thread about Gwar going on tour again?

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I will not rest until I buy this! In fact, I will not rest AFTER buying this, either, for obvious reasons!! :D