Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scallopping Frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm wondering about scalopping frets on my bass and on a baritone guitar. Is it easy to do it urself, and if you do it, does it look/feel like crap?

Know of anybody that sells pre-scalopped frets??

Wat are the pros/cons of scalloped frets?

Thanks,
    ~JB~

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Scallopong the removal of fretboard wood in between the frets. Check out a Yngwie Signature Strat if you are interested. Allows a lighter touch to play faster and bend notes easier, but if you fret too aggressively I would imagine you would be out of key most of the time. Unless you want to do the whole "sweep arp" thing, it has very few useable applications. But it the feel does it for you than research prices with an scallop-experienced luthier.

Not easy to do yourself, and a very easy way to ruin a good instrument just by attempting the process.

If you didn't even know what a scalloped fretboard was, you don't want to try it. :D

3. I'm not gonna try it...

Let's get Mikey!

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    By way of illustration...

[​IMG]

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I was wondering who would be the first to break out that picture. This is the best argument ever against DIY neck work when you don't have the necessary experience.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that picture will haunt my nightmares.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, it's a scalloped fingerboard. Not much point in scalloping the frets...

I'm moving this to Setup, where they get a kick out of threads like this.

8. What the hell is THAT!!!

meaning, is that just a fretboard?, one that has been hacked by a hack?, Yngvie's old one?, Fender's latest custom shop creation?, or maybe just the remnants of one of the new guitars that barely finished the G3 tour? :D

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Is that the Ibanez "Salvador Dali" Guitar??

I think my biggest question is... Why??? Seems counter intuitive to remove material from the fingerboard....

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    The billy sheehan yamaha attitude has several upper scallops in the finger board. It's a killer bass with awsome tone I sugest you check one out.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The few scalloped fretboards I've played felt terrible and actually slowed me down, acting like speed bumps.

12. Installing very tall frets would have a similar effect to scalloping the fretboard, functionally speaking.

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I dont know how clear i made it,but i do know what they are. I do know who Malmsteen is, and I know where he and Sheehan got the idea.

I was just seeing what other people thought about it with the pros andcons. How would I be able to ask the best way to do it if i didnt know what it was?

Think before youpost next time :rolleyes:

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    abark dont be like that man! As bassists it should be our job to kinda cut eachothersome slack. Now, maby you enteprit mypost how i expected youto, and you thought i didnt know what they were. Well its neither your fault nor mine, sence you misinterprited mypost, and sence I didnt specify enough. So lets not be jackasses to eachother man,lifes to short! So I'm sorry and Itake back "think before you post". I hope that my post hasnt stopped you from answering my futur questions, and really do take back what i say.

Hows that for an apology?? lol

From the lows,
    ~JB~

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    He interpreted your post fine. You just wrote it badly. Which makes it your fault.

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey folks,

Before a moderator comes in here and puts the lock on the post, lets all just simmer down...

bass_drum had a valid question... abark had a valid, albeit curt answer.

It happens...

I myself have no knowledge of scalloped fingerboards, and from the looks of it (even a professionally scalloped fingerboard) I would likely avoid them, unless someone.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thats what i was saying (kinda). **** happens! I didnt explain enough (even though I thought i did, even had my litttle cousin read it and he understands, but w/e) and he didnt understand me, and misenterpretid what i posted. So man simmer down a little! Quit pointing your finger at me man (in regard to the "no its your fault" post). Come on guys, we are musicians, we shouldnt be so uptight, right??? :p

~JB~

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I guess ill throw in my two cents, because I have done it. Only the highest 8 frets on an Ibanez Soundgear and it turned out very nicely. Took about ten minutes every fret. Since I have a 24 fret neck instead of Billy's 21 or so, my scallops start in the same place as his.

Mine turned out fairly nicely in my opinion, it took a while, and rosewood dust was all over the place. A bastard file right down the middle started the shape, and a finger and a piece of sandpaper rounded it out. Index fingers work great for the highest of frets.

Pics are coming soon.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Here's pics of my Soundgear's scalloped fretboard.