1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scarf joint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by curbowkid, Aug 27, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    M planning out my next build because my current one is in its final stages. For my next build, instead of doing a huge billet and cutting the whole neck out in one piece, I'm going the Fodera route for the neck. I just have one question.

I don't have a band saw, or table saw. Is this possible to pull off using a hand saw and a sanding block(60 grit) for leveling?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Do you have a router?

If you do you could do a rough cut with a hand saw and then make the faces perfectly flat with the router and a jig. All you need is two rails that you can mount on the end of the neck at an angle.

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I actually do have a router. I didnt think of that. It's one of the three power tools I own haha I'm gonna do that. Thanks!

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Another question. Would anyone happen to have a full size PDF for a 15 inch scale fretboard? I'm doing some experimentation with a one off instrument that I thought up

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    just google Concert Uke or Tenor Uke, scale should be similar

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I can't seem to find anything. I was hoping someone with the software could whip one up and send it too me

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Fretting/i-fretcalc.html

Not a full size PDF, but you can easily measure out the lines.

8. I cut a scarf joint with a hand saw. It can be done. I hope I will never have to do it that way again. :)

+1 on the router.

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I did a practice scarf last night by hand with a board of pine. I turned it into a 10 string tap stick to see how strong it is, hasn't budged :bassist:

10. crazygtr

crazygtr

Mar 4, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    You can use a hand saw and a handplane and get great results. Done it before.

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I used a hand saw last night and I don't have a hand plane. I used 60 grit sandpaper. I don't have the supplies for the router jig yet

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I've done it with various table saw jigs, hand saws, hand planes, and router sleds.

Router sleds are the way to go.

13. crazygtr

crazygtr

Mar 4, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    sandpaper is slower but works, just be sure to use a block and keep everything straight.

14. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I have a sanding block fortunately and a straight edge steel ruler so I was able to get it perfectly flat with some work