1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Schaller Kontrabass-Pickup 411"

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bassman 100, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    First time on this side of the fourm, Just getting into the upright bass now, even though I've had it several years, I find the Fender Jazz easier. Need to lock it up for a few months !

I've done a search & can't find any reviews of this
    pick up: "Schaller Kontrabass-Pickup 411"
    Does anyone have any experience of it ?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bassman,
    The Shaller is just a single coil magnetic pickup that attached directly to the underside of your fingerboard with screws. Using is your upright will sound just like a Frettless Jazz Bass. I've played through one, lots of guys in St. Louis had them at one time or another. Not an acoustic sound at all.

Ric

3. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Ric,
    thanks for your reply. Makes sense. I was lead to beleive otherwise when I purchsed it. However it's a nice bass & its time to invest in a better pick up. I'm playing in a church a lot of the time. I thought I would not need any amp -but not the case. We have thirty in the group which, include electric piano, another keyboard playing strings, one violin player, two acoustic guitars amped, bongoes, concert flute, so I suppose I need to come up to par, but I need to soud like the real deal, not as you say a frettless bass.

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    As I've posted here a few times before, I use a $50 pickup from SixRounds.com - sounds fine to me through my AI combo. I don't play many gigs, but this is certainly good enough for me. For the money, you can't go wrong, and you'll have a real acoustic upright bass sound.

-S-

5. I have that pickup in my bass. I love it, but I'm working with bands that play roots/rock, blues, country. It's BIG and authoritative sounding, not at all like a piezo pickup. It suits me fine.

6. Defenetly not for Jazz or any other style where the actual organic sound
    of your bass required. I bought one ten or so years ago an sold it within couple of weeks. However it is a great pickup if you want volume and don't care much for sound. Rock, punk, death metal, etc.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1

I just installed one on a '64 Ampeg Baby Bass. Reminds me of a Gibson Humbucker - even though it's a single coil. I was going to install a tone pot to roll the highs off but not necessary. It sounds very deep and warm just as is. Money well spent.

8. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    would you get any growl, if installed in a EUB?

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bass Like

If you have an Ebony fingerboard it will definitely "growl" Rosewood boards are a little mellower. I think there are different magnetic pickups that have slimmer profiles.

Ric

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021