1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schaller Pickup, Mechanical Vibration.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jazzpah, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I am very happy with my Schaller magnetic pickup, it has plenty of oomf and doesn't feedback. It suits my purposes, (playing in a big band).

But I also use my bass for symphony work and when the bass is unamplified, I get a mechanical buzzing/vibration/rattle coming from the pickup. It occurs mostly around certain frequencies, and is very annoying.

I sent the PUp off for repairs, an although it is better than before, the rattle is still noticable.

Has anyone else had this problem, and come up with a solution?

2. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    It's possible that 1 or more of your magnet cores is rattling in the winding. I actually had the "A" magnet vibrate right out of it's threads during an acoustic gig. You might try wrapping 2 or 3 layers of teflon tape around the magnets, and re-inserting them. They come from the factory with the teflon tape all ready on them, but maybe a couple extra layers would help. You can find it at any hardware store in the plumbing section

3. Good advice, cheers, I will do that straight away.

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    You could try dipping in in wax like we used to do with guitar pickups that had gone microphonic.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I used to use a Schaller and liked it, but after a year or so, I started getting a rattle. It turned out it was the A-string magnet on mine, too. I never tried the teflon tape (good idea), but I tried gluing it in place. I could never get rid of the rattle, so I sold it.

I never liked the chrome look anyway.....