Schaller Tuners for WAL MK3 Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheScubaCult, Feb 6, 2019.

1. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    Hello All,
    Any Wal people (or those familiar w/) know the exact make/model of these Schallers? The allen screws and washers are slowly gettin worn out; gear and worm drive are, too. Saw technical drawings of M4 and M4S and these aren't it. Ordered this old bird 18 years ago. . . I haven't been gentle. I might try posting in a Wal club or something 20190205_124841.jpg

2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Get in touch with the peeps @ Wal- I’m sure they’d probably ship you one or two.

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    those are hipshots

bdgotoh likes this.
  4. Yosbank

Yosbank

Feb 6, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Hipshots ultralites..... if you want that same color combo (black/chrome) you'd have to order it direct at hipshot.... otherwise retailers sell solid chrome or solid black

TheScubaCult likes this.
  6. kulit17

15495089772006404607813842663016.jpg

1549509053043792346944150071290.jpg

TheScubaCult likes this.
  7. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    20190205_125101.jpg 20190205_125034.jpg Wow. Check out my original brochure. It say's "Schaller, low gear, heavy duty machines". Thanks a bunch for the info kulit17, hypercarrot
    cataract— last time got with High Wycombe, they wanted $12 per back cavity screw. A bit surprised they'd send me something free what with international shipping, ins., duty taxes blah blah.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  8. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    The damage was from my father's crazy dog a decade ago— just grateful I caught it in the act or it would've been fertilizer well before it's time. Ha! it's been so long and I still get pissed when I think about it heehee

Caca de Kick likes this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    the gold tuners in your brochure are schallers. M4S.
    like these. though you probably never had schaller M4S on there because you'd have 2 locator peg holes in your headstock.
    schallerm4s2x2tuners2-jpg.jpg
    schallerm4s2x2tuners6-jpg.jpg

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    For the longest time; the Mk3 used the Hipshot Ultralights, while the Mk2 & Mk1 used the Schaller M4S.

However, since Schaller redesigned their tuners and no longer has the M4S Paul at Wal is now using Grover on the Mk2 & Mk1, and also Hipshot changed their plating so much it no longer matches Wals hardware, so Paul now uses the new Schaller M4-90 light on the Mk3.

You can still order direct from Hipshot: it's the 3/8" Ultralights. You have to specify the color combo.

Picture below of a Mk3 and a Mk2 fivers.
    20190206_221341.jpg

BWorm likes this.
  11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
  12. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    I'm lovin' the history lesson. Thank you guys. Just looked up Hipshot HB6 3/8". Now the SAE measurements make sense after all these years. I never bothered to know. Who machines their bridges? Anyway, problem one solved! Most grateful.

Now, lemme ask your opinion on something else:

My poor WAL has suffered my brutality for a long time. Dings, thumb hole wear, punches, pounding, stainless steel picks, drumsticks, you name it. WALs are built like tanks. Take a look at my humbuckers. Obviously, the ABS is super marred up. Paul H. and I emailed about them. He said he's never seen any quite like mine before, and they could possibly remold them. Shipping alone was well north of $350. But based on your knowledge of the beloved WAL: What do you think this would cost/ballpark even if a remold is possible? Paul Herman seems like a cool human being, but that doesn't mean I can send them, return trip, just to find out I can't afford it. I could use replacement screws for everything too.
    (sidenote: the neck humbucker developed that "sinkhole" on the high side on it's own about a year after I got it 2001-ish) Anyway, bottom line. . . super grateful I was able to order one way back when.
    20190205_124726.jpg

13. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    Actually, both humbuckers have that sinkhole defect thing.

14. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
  15. kulit17

You dont have to ship the entire bass. You can ship ONLY the pickups and it'll cost you less than $40 if you ship via USPS using a flat rate box.