Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schatten Bass Pickup ANYBODY GOT ONE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rcboals, May 15, 2005.

1. rcboals

rcboals

Apr 27, 2005
    Anybody know about Schatten if so tell the rest of us? They say this "The unique design of the pickup and it's placement insures that it "REMAINS FEEDBACK FREE" while being able to generate impressively high output and clean clear sound. It does not alter the acoustic sound of the bass." We have designed all of our pickups to operate properly and sound terrific "WITHOUT THE USE OF A PREAMP" when running into any 'normal' bass amp."
    I am tempted to try one they offer a "30 DAY MONEY BACK NO HASSLE GUARANTEE". I can't seem to find any one who has used it here or anywhere. Feedback free and money back and no preamp have my attention. http://www.schattendesign.com/bass.htm

2. rcboals

rcboals

Apr 27, 2005
    I ordered the Schatten and will post a review after we run it through its paces at practice.

3. I'm all ears.

4. That's a great deal, too- if it does what they say. :meh:

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Perhaps it does sound great but I've learned not to believe any of the promotional garbage about most products. "Sounds just like gut" and "sounds just like a microphone" are two things I've heard or read on many occasions and usually they turned out to be very far from the truth.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree. Especially about the guts. But the only polymer strings I believe that truly do sound like gut are Barefoot Larry's Hillbilly Slap Strings, made from genuine nylon with kevlar inlaid weed eater line. I bought a set of them just to see if I would like guts, and I liked them so I bought a set of guts, and son of a gun, they sounded practically identical. Not quite identical...guts still have a richer tone and they're slightly easier to bow than Barefoot's strings. But I was totally amazed at how close they are...I'd say 85% nailed it. $15 bucks...makes a great set of spares!

Of course, that doesn't have much to do with the topic of the pickup, does it? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread.

7. Joe Kyle Jr.

Joe Kyle Jr. Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Though I was naturally sceptical of the ad copy hype about "high output" and "acoustic sound" and the part about not needing a preamp, somehow I convinced myself to temporarily suspend disbelief and give the Schatten pickup a try. It's cheap enough to warrant a test drive. I couldn't get a useable tone out of it on two different basses. Very low output, in fact, and prone to hum. Never even considered leaving it on the bass long enough to take to a gig.

8. Someone over on the RAB board ordered one months ago, and said he'd post a review when received. Haven't heard a word since. I don't know if we can infer dissatisfaction from that or not.

9. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I've owned the Schatten RB-2 for around 7 years. I get much better output from it than from my Underwood. With raw guts it's been great. With wrapped E&A, exceptional. I get full round focused tone, with rich lows and clean highs, and is at least as natural as any other PUP I've used.

I bought them for an easy slap RAB solution in one PUP, and it worked very well, and now playing more pizz, jump swing, and slap style gypsy jazz playing, it's still great.

I've had zero issues with it, and have not regretted going with it. My two Underwoods pretty much don't get used any more.

I will say that combining it with a Troll mic sounds great.