Schecter Apocalypse or Ibanez SR670?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocknroller4, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Ibanez SR670

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Schecter C-4 EX

33 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Hey all. Mostly interested in Heavy metal, black metal, hard rock type stuff..

I am having a hard time deciding between these two guitars. I know the Schecter can play in BEAD tuning straight out of the box which is a bonus.. since it's 35 scale (not sure if you can tune standard with baritone strings?) It's also completely Swamp Ash with string thru. Not too thrilled on the color but the ebony fingerboard is great. Bass : C-4 Apocalypse EX

The other is the Ibanez SR670. Mahogany body/Ash top. I like the pickups better on this one because at least I think I could change them compared to the Schecter if it sounded bad (doubt it). I've also used Ibanez guitars and always liked the neck slimness. I know the Schecter looks more metal but I tend to go against the grain and be different. SR670 | SR | ELECTRIC BASSES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

I found one of the Schecter C-1 Apocalypse EX models for $670 used (cosmetic). So the price is about the same. For the Ibanez w/case $780. Schecter w/case $825

I am also looking at a much cheaper ESP LTD or a Spector Performer. Not really a fan of lower priced Ibanez basses. Trying to avoid basswood.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Man, Schecter have really lost their Metal Mojo :(

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  3. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    What do you mean?

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I think this Apocalypse looks a bit more apocalyptic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Standalone likes this.
  5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    They all look so...

Ordinary :(

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  6. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    The Apocalypse is an excellent bass! I can't speak to the SR670, specifically, however a do really like my Mikro and the other Ibby's that I've played all felt & sounded great to me. But the Apocalypse really brings an aggressive sound to the table, which is exactly what metal demands :thumbsup:

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike

Dec 28, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've owned both Schecter and Ibanez basses although neither of those. The Ibanez is long gone. The Schecter is still my main bass. It's a Stiletto Stealth 5 string and I absolutely love it. Tonally, there was just no comparison. The Schecter blew the Ibanez away.

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I’ll vote for Ibanez always, even though Shecter has more metal cred. Modern metal seems going a little bit more in the wooden finish axes and less black and grey.

Ibanez basses are great across genres, and resale has a wider market, if that matters to you.

The key is to play both and choose
    The one that sings

Beej, Aqualung60 and Rocknroller4 like this.
  9. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Well I'll be honest I do like Schecter a lot more than Ibanez. Even though they make solid cheap basses I've never really liked the cheaper soundgears. I thought 650 for the Schecter apocalypse was a hell of a deal considering it goes for 1200 new. It was marked down due to just cosmetic issues and it weighs in at 9 pounds. Not sure why it's almost half off to be honest just for cosmetic reasons?

Went to guitar center today just to get a feel for the different wood types. Definitely think mahogany sounds way better than basswood.

10. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Can you tune it standard if it's 35 scale with baritone strings?

11. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    I buy a Spector if I could afford it. The legend is almost 850. The performer is way cheaper but it's passive.

Dean N likes this.
  12. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    Are you asking if you can tune the low B string to a standard E?

13. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Yeah on a bass configured to BEAD tuning with a 35 scale and using Ernie Ball 4 String Super Long Baritone, .065-.130 ?

I'm just asking because if it's 35 scale with 4 strings then it wouldn't need the truss rod adjusted correct?

This apocalypse i'm looking at is a 4-string bass. Just learning about the technical aspects now but have played guitar on and off for a few years. Just forget.

14. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    Every time you change strings, you'll need a new setup (truss, saddle heights, intonation). You'll need a new setup periodically, anyway. That shouldn't be a deciding factor at all.

Anyway - I love my Schecters tuned BEAD! Bridge and nut filing will be required. No matter what, you're gonna need to adjust your instrument.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  15. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Tried both, just ordered an schecter c5 apocalypse. The one I tested was a 4. But in terms of tone, feel and such.... IMO. No comparison between the two. Schecter are stupidity under rated.

DiscoRiceJ and dalahorse like this.
  16. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I've played the apocalypse in a store and Mann, that thing is sweet and feels great. I didn't get to plug it into any heavy dirt pedals but with the overdrive on a fender rumble amp I'm betting it'll fit the bill with heavier pedals.

17. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA

The apocalypse isn't basswood

18. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    Nah, try this Schecter (in red) or black. Better looking and I know from owning one for years that it's versatile and well-made.

19. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Mine should arrive next Friday. I will give dull details and a full review. I especially couldn't pass it up considering the price.

C5 with schecter case
    Shipped. $705.00

20. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA

I'e always liked the hellraiser, but I already have many active basses, and I really wanted a passive that could do a variety of different tones and sound great on my tube amp. Passive and tubes.....drool

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021