1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter: What do you guys think of them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I've never gotten around to playing one. for some reason, I've always associated them with teenage metal-core bass players. Sounds kind of ridiculous now that I think of it.

Anyway, what are your opinions on the brand overall?

2. angst178

angst178

Oct 22, 2009
    I had a Damien 5 with EMGs. It was an OK bass. Not spectacular. Well made, but my Dean Edge 5 sounded better with the same pickups in it.

3. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I owned 2 very nice good quality.
    Great basses at the price point

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I have kinda the same impression. Seems like a middle of the road bass. Lots of variety in terms of both shapes and colors, some more mainstream than others. Always felt they didn't quite have great sounding pickups in general but times may have changed. Definitely some unique looks that work well for their intended styles.

hintz likes this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Very nice basses that I would never purchase.

6. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, their appearances are perfect for metalcore/ new metal/ whatever term is used.

7. I've heard the quality is good for the price point - to me they look cheap/hokey/cheesey. Can't get past that. This from a guy who plays Ibanez, Peavey, ESP, and frankenbasses

8. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I lik the way they look and feel. I prefer an Ibanez neck, otherwise I would own a red Stilleto.

513050000665000-00-500x500.

9. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    I tried a Stiletto 5 Session and a Riot 5 Session. I wanted to like those basses but:
    1) Their poly finishes look like cloudy thick plastic.
    2) Didn't like the sound. It was neither articulate or fat, just non-distinct.
    3) I prefer a fatter rounder neck.

The Stiletto Stealth-5 and Stiletto Custom-5 look cool. But, they'll probably have the same issues for me.

stiletto-stealth-5-sbk.

stiletto-custom-5-nat-tilt.

10. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Schecter makes an ok product for the price. I like their neck profiles, but not all bodies are appealing to me. I like my Stiletto Studio 5, but I have played other models that I just didn't care for. Play a few and judge for yourself.

11. blackbass

blackbass

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Playing my Schecter Diamond Series "Scorpion" bass to your left of this post. I think it's a great bass!
    Good action, nice sound. Comes naturally strung BEAD. Only my girlfriends use G-strings! Just kidding.
    I've had this bass since 2002, very unique. Good quality, AND at a great price!
    Schecter also has a wide selection of left-handed basses, which not many companies do.

comatosedragon likes this.
  12. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    image. I play a JD Signature model for everything in my band.

Great bass, very well made and the neck is my preferred profile.

I installed Gotoh ultralight tuners and a Hipshot d-tuner, so I use it for everything.

Put a sticker over the BLS logo, so the audience doesn't think I am some Black Label tool.

JD is a very close personal friend of mine and convinced me to check out Schecter.

With a clean slate of paper, he set up this bass; the guy has some chops and designed a nice instrument.

They really make some great stuff.

Snibborwocky and Oldschool94 like this.
  13. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    i've played many schecters but i havent actually owned one... yet. the good thing about schecter is that they make basses for every budget, from a few hundred bucks to their more expensive top of the line basses. i have had chances to try many from all price ranges, and so far i like them. i like the fact that many of their basses are very flexible tone wise and can cover many genres of music in one bass. for example, i have been eyeing this one of these for a good while now: Schecter 2524 Stiletto Vintage-4 3-TSB Electric Bass Guitar Bundle w/Hard C

i think sometime in the near future (tax refund) it'll become part of my small, but selected, group.

finally, i'd say that even if you don't think they have the best electronics or pickups (i personally like them), schecter basses make excellent modding platforms.

14. Scheisster always look better than they sounded imho. Ibanez ripoffs.

15. Try a sire? That how it works right?

16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It's kind of a shame what happened to the brand. Back in the late 70s/early 80s when David Schecter and Tom Anderson were designing/building the instruments, Schecters were seriously badass top-of-the-line professional instruments, the equivalent of today's Sadowsky or Mike Lull or Suhr. I lusted after their Jazz Bass clones because every single one I played was a bona fide Fender slayer, legit contenders for G.O.A.T. passive bass. Finally was able to buy one second-hand in the early 90s, and that's still the bass I'll be buried with.

And then I look at the instruments Schecter is making nowadays, and they're so mind-bogglingly different from what they used to be that I can barely wrap my head around the cognitive dissonance. Should've just retired the Schecter name when Shibuya bought the company back in 1987.

stringthrough and hover like this.
  17. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    They're active, so no.

Sartori and comatosedragon like this.
  18. Had a DeLeo. Great bass. Very much worth the $, especially used.

fourstringgirl likes this.
  19. I had a Schecter Stilleto Elite 4 - it played well, looked great and was of surprisingly good build quality overall - I sold it as the sound was not what I was looking for. Others may like it just not for me - I was pleasantly surprised about the quality of the guitar overall - good value

funkbass187 likes this.
  20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    There's a Riot-4 that's been sitting at a local GC for... I dunno... forever. I was thinking of trying to get the price down (floor model) and getting a Kahler tremolo put on it.

Could be interesting.