1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schertler dyn-b and Fishman bass eq pro platinum compatibility

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aQuintino, Mar 20, 2013.

1. aQuintino

aQuintino

Nov 2, 2011
    Hi!
    So I have a Schertler dyn-b transducer and I just got a Fishman bass eq pro platinum preamp to work on my amplified sound. But when I connected it all to my GK amp it didn't produce any sound. After I tested all cables, the Schertler, the preamp and the GK, I concluded I have no clue of what's wrong.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
    António Quintino
    www.antonioquintino.com

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

I'm fairly certian that you will need a Schertler Pre A III, to produce an accectable sound with the DYN-B. They are designed as a system, I haven't heard of anyone using just the DYN-B alone. My guess is that the DYN-B and the Fishman Pro Platinum don't play well together.

Ric

3. aQuintino

aQuintino

Nov 2, 2011
    It's not that the sound isn't very good, it just doesn't sound at all. Plus I have a collegue that uses a dyn-b with a non-schertler amp and it sounds great.

4. neroantico

neroantico

Jan 23, 2004
    italy, milan
    Hi Antonio

I own both, but never tried together.
    Best thing you could do is insert DynB in a Pa system to check what kind of signal you get.
    schertler Pre work best due to its filter cutting boxy freq.

Hope it helps

Giovanni

5. Propably, something in the chain doesn't work.

6. aQuintino

aQuintino

Nov 2, 2011
    I tried every combination to test each piece involved in the connection and everything worked perfectly, except in the order I wanted to. Weird.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Did you put a fresh battery in the Fishman?

8. aQuintino

aQuintino

Nov 2, 2011
    Done. It was missing the phantom power from de PA. The battery was brand new (I think) but it doesn't have enough power to amplify the schertler.

9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The Schertler Pre's supply phantom...the fishman doesn't, I forgot the Dyn B needs phantom.

10. aQuintino

aQuintino

Nov 2, 2011
    Actually it doesn't, i have used it before without phantom. But it definitely sounds better.

11. The dyn-B _wiring_ is the same as a dynamic mic. It does not require phantom power. It does need the equivalent of a mic preamp to provide sufficient gain for reasonable volume. The 160Hz cut is a handy feature in the Schertler pre-amp ('resonance' control), but many mixers have sweepable mids which can provide a similar effect.

How are you wiring the Dyn-B socket to the preamp? Maybe the problem is in going from balanced XLR to phono?

Steve

12. The Fishman preamp can not send phantom power to micros. It only accepts phantom power from a PA or an amp in order to work without a battery.
    The XLR connection on Fishman is a Line Out , so it sends the signal to an amp, and also can accept ph-power.
    There is only 1 line-in on Fishman and that is a 1/4 inch plug. If you want to connect the dyn-b you must use an extra adaptor XLR to 1/4 plug.