1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

School/private teacher in Minneapolis?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Kristian, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Hi,

My wife got a job offer in Minneapolis so we will be moving there in a couple of months.
    I'm currently studying classical bass in Stockholm and would like to continue on this road. Do you have any tips for schools or private teachers in this region?

Thanks
    Kristian

2. tdo

tdo

Oct 17, 2013
    Between the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and the Minnesota Orchestra you should be able to find someone who's willing to give you lessons.
    I've had the chance to work with Chris Brown, from the SPCO, and he is a very compassionate person and good teacher. He also teaches at the University of Minnesota (in Minneapolis) although I'm not sure if he's sticking around because of the locked-out orchestra.
    Fred Bretschger (SPCO, McNally Smith College) and Bill Schrickel (Asst. Principal of the Minnesota Orchestra) also come to mind.
    The U of M has the best orchestra of the colleges in the area.
    -Ted

3. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    If you can find Joel Sayles he's a monster doubler. Not sure if he's teaching.

4. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    I'm on my way to Minneapolis right now to check out the city and hang around. Will meet Chris Brown on Wednesday.
    How is it to live in Minneapolis for a musician?
    Easy to get gigs? Anyone knows anything about the jazz scene?
    Hoped to find a jam session during my visit.
    Thanks,
    Kristian

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Cold! Went there for a gig in below zero January and my bass came home with a cracked rib from the low humidity in my hotel room.

6. tdo

tdo

Oct 17, 2013
    The jazz scene is happening for a city of that size, lots of creative musicians, most notably the Bad Plus, Happy Apple, Anthony Cox, and Fat Kid Wednesdays.
    Check out the Monday night jam at Jazz Central Studios, 407 Central Ave N - that starts at 8:30.

http://jazzcentralstudios.org/

Steve Kenny plays at the Artists' Quarter on Wednesday nights, early show (7 pm), and he always lets people sit in.

artistsquarter.com

Also check out the jazz series at the Icehouse on Nicollet Ave. There are two sets of music on Monday nights starting around 10 pm.

Hope your trip goes well!
    -Ted