Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder Combinations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan1099, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So, once my internship starts up against this fall, I'm considering buying a new cab setup, and Schroeder's have really caught my attention.... But I have a bit of a conundrum...What do I buy?

Possible Ideas.....
    2x1212
    1212 & 1210
    21012 and then, later on, another 1212 or 1210

With the 1212s or 1212-1210 combo, I just don't know which I prefer. Any recomendations?

The 310212 seems nice, in an "all I could ever need, one box solution" but I'm worried about not having enough power to run it. I use a QSC PLX1602. It is, all in all, the cheapest solution, as well, according to schroeder's website.

The 21012 and then another "medium box" sounds ideal, but it may prove cost prohibitive, and I am weary of buying one, and then the other later.

So really, I think I am looking most at the first two choices, 2 of the mediums, or one of the big fellas. Comments? Advice? Rude Comments? I want to hear your take on it.

FWIW, I play in a loud alternative rock (Think Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins) band, with two guitar players, playing Marshall and Blue Voodoo all-tube halfstacks, and a "Dave-Grohl school of skins" drummer.

I play a Marcus Miller Jazz through a BBE BMax-T and, as mentioned above, a QSC PLX1602.

Thanks for the advice.

2. I think the 1212 and 1210, portable and loud. And that one 10 inch will give you that extra punch if you want it.

3. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, I DO like that idea, but it's more expensive and smaller than the 310212. The only advantage it really has is portability. It makes me wonder if thats really worthwhile. I am, afterall, a youngin, with plenty of life left in my back.

4. And then what happens after a year when you get sick of hauling it around? Haha, I'm only 18 and already hate big cabs, IMHO yeah it's more expensive to be portable, but if you can possibly afford it, do it.

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1.

Except I'm 40 and I am tired of hauling big stuff around. And I have been for about 15 years or so.

I've got a 1212 and my 1210 ships from Jorg on Monday. I don't think this can be beat! As a rig, it's small and loud and fits in the front seat of my truck with my basses and rack in a pinch. Can't say that about the 3101212. And you mentioned "internship" -- as in college? Got any stairs in your life? The 3101212 will just love those. Just the 1212 driven with a Read Purity pre/Stewart 1.2 gets DANG LOUD! Can't wait for the 1210 to arrive.

I'd recommend the 1210/1212 and not the 1212/1212. The 1212, as the monster thread says, is more rounded. As a single, I don't think it's punchy and bright enough and I certainly wouldn't want two of them for that reason.

Back to your question -- I actually had the same basic conversation with Jorg. He recommended the 1210/1212 combo to me. He said the 3101212 was designed with the touring pro and arena player in mind. He convinced me that I didn't need anything bigger for what I do. But you might...give him a call. He's one of the most approachable, knowledgeable, and concerned builders I've ever talked to. Right up there with Mike Tobias.

If you feel you just absolutley need the speaker area, go for the 1210/21012 (my first choice BTW). This gives you the same speaker config as the 3101212, in two much more controllable boxes. Then you have cabinet options as well as fewer transport and physical issues. I know it's about $500 more for the pair, but it's a lot easier to transport PLUS it gives you a smaller cab for smaller gigs or practice. The Schroeder's have a 10 year warranty -- who knows what you'll be playing or the opportunities you may get in that time frame. In a pinch for cash, I wouldn't hesitate getting one then the other and would start with the 21012.

Hope this helps. Schroeder cabs really do give lotsa sound for the pound.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend you do it soon. Summer NAMM is coming up and funny things happen at NAMM-time.

dcr

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love the 1212 and 1210 combo. With it's 2x 12" front facing drivers, it is the combo (or 2x1210 or 2x1212) that is most unique in the line. Everything else has the 10" drivers facing front. THe cabs are a sum of the whole.... but I just like the 12" projecting straight ahead.

Though similarly voiced, I like the mix of the rounder 1212 with the more aggressive 1210. Hopefully I'll be jamming and recording on Tuesday with a drummer I use to play with. I should be getting a good sample or 2 of my rigs live tone (he's got a cakewalk recording set up in his rehearsal room / converted garage).

7. I have a single 1210 and I'd love to try a 2x1210 combination.
    Must be deep low end with an incredible punch.

8. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Once you've got that live setup recorded, you should let me know, James. I'd love to hear it. Do you think your setup would be loud enough for the band I am in? Let me know. Thanks.