1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schutz Bass Part

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by fcleff, Apr 13, 2006.

1. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I don't have much time on this but it's worth a try. I have to play Schutz's "Seven Last Words of Christ" tomorrow (Good Friday). I have never seen or heard this piece. Does anyone know anything about the difficulty level of the bass part? I will be sightreading, basically (we have a short rehearsal, then the show). What am I in for?:eek:

2. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
  3. I have played this piece years ago. It's very early baroque-- don't recall any difficult licks. If you enjoy early music, you'll like this one.

As they say, if it's baroque, don't fix it.

bassbuck

4. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the input. It was an easy gig. There were no tough licks. It was, however, challenging to put the ensemble together in 30 minutes. We used 2 violin, 2 viola, cello, bass, and harpsichord. The violins and violas used baroque bows. It was really fun getting that light sound to come together so quickly. The piece sounded really nice, too. Thanks again.