1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scott Lafaro Podcasts

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by dblbss, May 16, 2011.

1. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    Hey folks,

Some of you might already have checked this out, but I just discovered it. There are 4 podcasts featuring Scott Lafaro.

Do a search in the itunes store for Jazz Insights with Dr. Gordon Vernick

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's killer, thanks dbl. Lots of good stuff on there.

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
  4. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    dr. vernick knows a ton about jazz history. a very knowledgeable man.

5. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    He's an incredible host--these are just wonderful podcasts!

Funny note about the pronunciation of names. Most people I've heard (including me for many years) mis-pronounced LaFaro, making it rhyme with "Far" instead of "Fair." (e.g. correct = La-FAIR-oh; incorrect = La-FAR-oh). Dr. Vernick gets it right, but mispronounces the drummer Paul Motian's name, which is pronounced MO-shun, and not MO-tee-un.

Not that it matters much. I just find silly stuff like that interesting.

--Steve

P.S. In an unrelated field, the most commonly mispronounced name of a moderately famous person that I know about is the anthropologist Clifford Geertz. Every anthro prof I ever had (and the anthro faculty I work with) pronounce it GEAR-tz, but Prof. Geertz pronounces his own name "GURTZ."

6. Stev187

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Oh, and if you're not an iTunes person, the podcasts stream directly from this site, or you can download them in mp3 format. The other shows look great, too.

--Steve

7. tww001

tww001 Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    This pod cast is great! thanks for sharing! Check out his PC podcast too!

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I haven't listened to Scott in quite a while so I listened to all 4 podacasts and am struck again by his technical and musical clarity. And that he walked like no one else. Just an outstanding musician who happened to play bass.