Scratchy Pot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Right, im pretty sure i know how to cure a scratcy normal pot, but what do you do when its a stackable one ( 2 dials ontop of each other ) , its the lower one thats scratching, cheers in advance
  2. Spray in electronic pot cleaner and turn the knob around. You want to spray it into the back of the pot, not the knob side.
  3. erm, could you point me in a direction of good stuff? ive never seen anything like that in the uk :S
  4. Any electronics store should have contact cleaner. You don't need a huge can of it or anything. If you've got a Radio Shack or something like that ask them for contact cleaner.
  5. "Most" pots will have a tiny opening on the backside where you can get some cleaner in there. However, most cans of electronic cleaner have wands that are a bit too large to spray in there without risking getting the cleaner on precious stuff .
    I use a small disposable syringe with needle, pull the plunger out, spray some cleaner into it, put the plunger back in, and then I can get the needle and cleaner into the small holes while working the knobs back and forth. Usually works quite well..
    Just use the stuff sparingly and with caution. They are usually very tough solvents that eat paint and finishes if you overspray.

6. Yes, the stuff can be really bad news to some really some plastic. I have a Seymour Duncan amp that the knobs disintigrated after cleaning out the pots.
  7. Its an ibanez BTB, dials are metal, so, should be ok :)
  8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Caig Labs Deoxit D5 (formerly known as CRAMOLIN)

(speaking from over 15 years of studio experience)